Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Water drip?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Sep 2011, 06:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Water drip?

I have a drip coming from a rubber tube on my firewall.It's around what looks to be the heater core area.I think it's plain clear water,no anti-freeze.This tube is only about 6" long.What's going on here?
Old 06 Sep 2011, 06:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Water drip?

If it's clear water, it's probably the condensation hose from the A/C that's supposed to be dropping that water harmlessly down to the ground just inside the passenger front tire.
Old 06 Sep 2011, 09:55 pm
Senior Cruiser

Gizzy, if you didn't have that "drip", your PT would start stinking like a moldy dead mouse when you turned on your Air Conditioner.

The hose, as Crewzin stated, is a drip hose. It's there to get rid of condensation from your lower HVAC assembly. When your A/C is on, it pulls moisture out of the air inside your car and deposits it on your evaporator. The water drips off the evaporater and falls to the bottom of your HVAC assembly, where it then goes out a drain, via the hose you spoke of, and onto the ground.

By the way, if your A/C starts stinking, this hose may be plugged. If so, pinch it lot, and hope for the best. But you don't have that problem! Yay!

Tim
Old 07 Sep 2011, 04:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

I thought that's what it was,but,I didn't have the A/C on & it was still dripping alot.Maybe it is clogged or kinked?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfrodolives View Post
Gizzy, if you didn't have that "drip", your PT would start stinking like a moldy dead mouse when you turned on your Air Conditioner.

The hose, as Crewzin stated, is a drip hose. It's there to get rid of condensation from your lower HVAC assembly. When your A/C is on, it pulls moisture out of the air inside your car and deposits it on your evaporator. The water drips off the evaporater and falls to the bottom of your HVAC assembly, where it then goes out a drain, via the hose you spoke of, and onto the ground.

By the way, if your A/C starts stinking, this hose may be plugged. If so, pinch it lot, and hope for the best. But you don't have that problem! Yay!

Tim
Old 07 Sep 2011, 08:03 pm
Senior Cruiser

gizzy, you didn't have your A/C on some time before you parked the car and noticed the drip? Now that's odd.

The drip hose from your A/C HVAC assembly should be around six inches long and be pinched closed on the end. If you're in doubt, drive with the A/C on, then park the car and put a pan under the area where the drip comes from. If the water is clear, then it has to be from the HVAC drip hose.

Tim
Old 07 Sep 2011, 08:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sometimes I think my PT is taking a pee when I stop somewhere what with all the water that drops out of it.
Old 07 Sep 2011, 08:08 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Did you have the defroster on?Just wondering because the defroster uses the AC compressor.
Old 08 Sep 2011, 04:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

Actually,I think I did have the defrost on.That may be the culprit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBluePT View Post
Did you have the defroster on?Just wondering because the defroster uses the AC compressor.
Old 08 Sep 2011, 04:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

It is clear water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfrodolives View Post
gizzy, you didn't have your A/C on some time before you parked the car and noticed the drip? Now that's odd.

The drip hose from your A/C HVAC assembly should be around six inches long and be pinched closed on the end. If you're in doubt, drive with the A/C on, then park the car and put a pan under the area where the drip comes from. If the water is clear, then it has to be from the HVAC drip hose.

Tim
Old 08 Sep 2011, 05:15 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

That hose is called a duck-bill drain for the HVAC. Should be clear and is doing what it's supposed to do. I have from experience seen spiders make home and web in that drain and cause water to back up into the HVAC and then dump into the box and into the pass compartment. When ever I change the oil I poke a metal wire in the end of the drain to ensure it's clear.