PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
engine cooling question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Sep 2011, 07:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation engine cooling question

hey everyone.
I haven't been on in a long time, so heres a quick update on my pt. About 1 month ago i took it in for a transmission service because it was shifting strange. The next day the owner of the shop called and said that I had hit something before bringing it in which had pushed cracked the radiator and shoved the entire cooling assembly up into the tranny solenoid pack. After i got off the phone i thought, Hmmmm..... I've only been in one minor fender bender in a parking lot. So the next day i cruised over to the shop and sure enough, one of their new techs drove it into the back of a delivery truck.

After all the hooting and hollering, petey got all fixed up and he's back to normal. My question is, during regular driving my temp gauge is normal and it runs perfectly fine. After i shut it off and start it again 10 minutes later, my temp gauge is very high and then the fan kicks on right away and it goes right back to normal. This has been a weird thing i've noticed. My only reasoning is it has been hotter and fairly humid then normal here in Los Angeles. Is this something to worry over or is it some glitchy gauge?

Thank you,
Hayden
Old 07 Sep 2011, 08:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: engine cooling question

The fan should kick on before it gets to the "very high" point. You might have a problem with the low speed part of the fan not coming on.
Old 08 Sep 2011, 09:59 am
Young Cruiser

You said : [After i shut it off and start it again 10 minutes later, my temp gauge is very high and then the fan kicks on right away and it goes right back to normal]

After the engine was OFF during 10min, when you turn it ON, your temp gauge is HIGH+Fan max? and then goes back to a normal temp and fans comes back to normal speed?

www.SuperNasro.fr.st >> Design [Go to]

Old 08 Sep 2011, 10:06 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I have a old style Temp gague in my farm truck and I can run the truck all over and haul wood or play in the mud or whatever it never getts hot BUT when i shut it off(and there is no water moving) it will climb up the temp guage adn like you said as soon as I start it and the water starts moving it drops to where it should be
Old 08 Sep 2011, 01:55 pm
Young Cruiser

When my radiator fan was giving out, not only was the A/C not working right, but when I would park the PT for just a few minutes and then go to start it, the temperature gauge would go way over 1/2, but not to hot. After starting it, the gauge would go back to normal (1/2). After the fan was replaced, the temperature gauge stays at half whether on the road or parked for a few minutes.
Old 09 Sep 2011, 12:39 am
Senior Cruiser

If I remember correctly, there is this condition that older cars went through, called "heat soak". What happens is that your normally hot engine, while running, is being cooled by the radiator, water pump, thermostat, natural air (or the fan), etc. When you turn off your engine, all that cooling stuff stops dead. The temperature of your engine gets somewhat hotter, since nothing is running to cool it. I assume that's why some cars, a few years back, had their fans run for a while after you turned off the engine.

Anyway, all engines still do this to some degree. It's natural. However, my temperature gauges in all of my cars--PT, Honda del sol, Ford Ranger--never go above the almost halfway mark at any time--even after shutting off and turning back on during hot days.

Tim
Old 20 Sep 2011, 11:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thats exactly what mine is doing. is it ok?

Tags
2.4, chrysler, cooling, engine, tech