PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
P0344 Error-Ever Hear Of This Odd Software Solution ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Sep 2011, 10:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question P0344 Error-Ever Hear Of This Odd Software Solution ??

Two days ago my 2006 PT went into the infamous "limp mode" and on popped the check engine light. When I got it home and did the key code checker the error that came up was the P0344 Camshaft Position Sensor Intermittent error.

This morning I had it in to the dealer ( Dartmouth Dodge in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia ) to have it checked assuming the sensor needed to be replaced.

Here is what they came back with,

I was told that when they hooked it up there was some Service Bulletin Flash that required the computer software to be updated for the sensor. Once they did the update it cleared the code and they say it is running fine.

Further, they recommended not replacing the sensor at this point in time to see if it was in fact a matter of the software and not the part itself.

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing ? Is my cruiser smarter than I thought it was or do you think they are feeding me some B.S. ?

Cost wise it is under $150 for the "repair"

Any responses would be appreciated.
Old 08 Sep 2011, 11:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: P0344 Error-Ever Hear Of This Odd Software Solution ??

So, if the sensor goes bad in a little while, do they give you your money back for the software fix that didn't work? I think not. Never heard of the software fix for that particular code nor have I heard anyone talk about it. Doesn't mean it's something they are trying to make money off of you, just haven't heard of it on this forum.

All you can really do it wait and see if the problem happen again and the same code pops up.
Old 08 Sep 2011, 11:19 am
Fanatic Cruiser

See TSB# 18-015-09. The dealer is not lying to you.

This bulletin only applies to 2006 PTs, along with other models, as well.
Old 08 Sep 2011, 11:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Thanks for the update Chris. BTW, welcome back. Nobody else has ever come to the forum with that software fix but as you say if it's only for the 2006, that narrows down that amount of owners that would have the same problem that happen to be on the forum.
Old 08 Sep 2011, 02:37 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: P0344 Error-Ever Hear Of This Odd Software Solution ??

i have had my 06 updated last year when i took it in for a state insp. at that time it did not bother me to pay for the update i had heard there was a TSB out for my year cruiser
Old 08 Sep 2011, 09:26 pm
Regular Cruiser

Software can definitely fix alot of things but for 5 years to never have a problem and then all of the sudden have a code and then have a flash fix it, no way. You need a new sensor.

If it were 2006 and your car was fairly new, I would give the flash some hope. If it were me, I would replace it and forget about it.
Old 09 Sep 2011, 11:23 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floundering View Post
Software can definitely fix alot of things but for 5 years to never have a problem and then all of the sudden have a code and then have a flash fix it, no way. You need a new sensor.

If it were 2006 and your car was fairly new, I would give the flash some hope. If it were me, I would replace it and forget about it.
The dealer has diagnostic equipement to check the sensor. They wouldn't perform the flash without testing the sensor and finding that it's working as designed.

This code comes on for multiple reasons anyway. It does not guarantee that the problem is the sensor itself. Never throw parts at something not knowing for sure if that's the problem.
Old 09 Sep 2011, 03:16 pm
Regular Cruiser

I have a n/a 2002, which I purchased in May 2009. For the first few months, the idle was erratic and the engine stumbled badly when cold. I replaced the plugs and wires (at 86,000 km). No difference. I then noticed an old thread on this Forum, where the poster said he had his CPU reflashed. I went to my local Chrysler dealer and paid $50 (or about that) for them to reflash the CPU.
What a difference it made! The idle has been steady every since, and the stumble was 90% cured. I did not replace any other part.
Old 09 Sep 2011, 08:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks everyone for your replies...here is what happened.

After picking the Cruiser up after the "flash" was done I made it about 15 kms (10 miles) and low and behold bing bing bing on came the light again !

Needless to say I took it straight back to the dealer. This time around they said it was a different code that came up which they were able to clear. For more details the Service Adviser put me on to the actual tech/mechanic who did the work to explain to me everything they did between the two times in the shop and the result.

As I questioned him (politely) on how odd the flash repair sounded where the vehicle went into limp mode when the light first flashed on he was quite surprised. Though he was given the info to check the light, he wasn't given the information on how the performance had been affected. This time the need to actually replace the sensor was more apparent.

Though a major inconvenience having to take it back to them, to their credit they made things right by only charging me for the part itself and not for labor for the installation.

Here in Nova Scotia the sensor came to $107 taxes in.

Hopefully that is the final fix to it...not too crazy about light shows and limpy Cruisers.

Thanks again. This forum is the greatest resource for PT info going.
Old 09 Sep 2011, 08:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thanks for coming back with the "rest of the story".