Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
"Thud" Noise and Temperature

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Sep 2011, 07:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default "Thud" Noise and Temperature

I have a 2007 PT Cruiser Touring Edition 2.4L w/ turbo.

I recently had my head gasket and cylinder head replaced.

So I turned on my car, started to reverse, but right away I heard a "thud" noise. Sounds like someone kicked the car slightly, or someone hit their fist on the car. Not sure where it came from. Not sure if I should be concerned? Could it be from the engine or transmission? I checked around the car, I didn't run over anything.

It almost seems like after this "thud", my temperature started touching the middle of the temp gauge, because earlier during the day, it was always below. Once the gauge touches the middle, it goes down after awhile, is this normal to be always moving? All of the cars I have driven always stayed rock solid still below the halfway mark.

Some of you may have seen my other post:
Car Still Overheats

I am going to drive the car on the highway tomorrow and see if it overheats again after the fix. Hopefully it fixed it, because I have replaced pretty much everything thinkable.
Old 09 Sep 2011, 08:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: "Thud" Noise and Temperature

You really want to keep it on the city streets to see if it's OK. Driving it on the highway over 35mph, the fan shuts off and cooling depends on the air flowing through the radiator. You want stop and go driving to make sure it's OK. We're starting to get a "thump" in our Sheriff's car when it goes into reverse and they narrowed it down the the trans. Hope that isn't your case.
Old 09 Sep 2011, 08:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
You really want to keep it on the city streets to see if it's OK. Driving it on the highway over 35mph, the fan shuts off and cooling depends on the air flowing through the radiator. You want stop and go driving to make sure it's OK. We're starting to get a "thump" in our Sheriff's car when it goes into reverse and they narrowed it down the the trans. Hope that isn't your case.
I never found my other overheating problem by driving locally, I only happened to find it while on the highway.

Wait, so should I get my transmission looked at? Does it need to be fixed or replaced? It just happened once. I don't want another problem...

Thanks for the tip.
Old 09 Sep 2011, 09:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

One "thud" isn't enough to go by. Keep your ear open, and if it happens again, try and notice exactly what you were doing and try to pinpoint where it's coming from.