Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Motor mount question????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Sep 2011, 09:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Motor mount question????

I just changed the upper and lower mounts on the passenger side that were torn and bad but it seems now i feel a little more vibration coming from the crankcase/center of the engine area..wth... is it possible that the lower center mount is bad, now that these 2 are good and arent allowing the flex it had before?? any help is appreciated..thanks
Old 09 Sep 2011, 09:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Motor mount question????

no it is most like;ly that you now have good mounts and you can actually feel the vibration since the mounts are actually working
Old 09 Sep 2011, 10:20 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Did you make sure the new mounts are positioned correctly at 4.72" like the manual says? I had mine of by 1/4 inch and it was vibrating a lot
Old 09 Sep 2011, 10:54 pm
Senior Cruiser

Jmont, both of the other posters may be correct. You may have put in new struts that have harder inserts, or you may have just assumed that the struts don't need proper alignment (4.70 inches).

Without the proper alignment, all the cushioning at one end of your upper strut may be at its extreme--and has no ability to cushion any further (and that makes for undue vibration). In other words, you need to "center" the struts (well, the upper one) so that there is room for the engine to move fore and aft. You may have it adjusted so far forward that the engine cannot move any more in that direction, or so far rearward, that the engine cannot move toward the rear--thus causing a lot of vibration.

Keep in mind that you don't want your engine moving a lot in either direction, anyway; but some movement is required, and that's why the struts have rubber inserts.

Do you know how to adjust your struts and where this 4.70 measurement is taken? If you have a Hayne's Manual, they tell you how to do it. If not, then we have more to talk about on this subject.

BTW, when I did my struts, I lucked out and the 4.70 was right there for me. You may have lucked out, too; so it may be that you just have harder inserts in your struts, and you can feel a little vibration at idle because of the difference in cushioning material.

Tim
Old 10 Sep 2011, 05:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank all of you for the info, I didnt do the alignment like you have mentioned. I do have a haynes manual, so I'll definetly be looking it up. Is it difficult or something that is easily accomplished. any other info on alignment process would be great. Once again thanks XtrmDC2 and mdfrodolives for the info.
Old 11 Sep 2011, 08:19 pm
Senior Cruiser

Jmont, look at Chapter 2 Part A Engines--in the Hayne's Manual. Go to page 2A25. Hayne's shows your how to adjust the motor mounts. It has illustrations and all.

But, first, look at the illustration (18.35) that shows where to take this measurement. You may be at the 4.70 distance--if you're lucky. If not, you better go through the adjustment procedure. Read the procedure carefully.

Tim