Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Loud squealing when turning left

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Sep 2011, 10:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Loud squealing when turning left

I have a 2002 Standard PT Cruiser. Have owned this vehicle since 2007. Right now about 51000 miles. Have replaced the radiator twice, had overheating problems, been towed at least 4 times and most recently I have a loud squealing, intermittent noise which is coming from the front driver side area. It seemed to be happening when I am turning left but also has happened when I went over railroad tracks. Took it in, 1st mechanic said everything looked good (brakes okay and belts all okay), could hear it but didn't know where it was coming from; basically drive it until it gets worse. That worked for about 3 days and then again loud squealing noise. So this past week took it in (a different mechanic), was told it was the serpentine belt; so replaced that along with the belt tensioner and my lower controls arms were also replaced. Picked it up Thursday night, drove home (4 miles - no noise); drove to work on Friday morning - squealed when I turned left. Made it to work (about 10 miles) but on my way home - turned right - squeal and then stopped at a light and turned left - very loud for about 1/2 mile and then stopped. Was actually on the phone with the mechanic when it was making the loud noise and he said - boy that is bad. Bring it back in on Monday. Any ideas? Any comments/suggestions will help - I'm very frustrated. This car, unfortunately, has been a real money pit . Really liked it when it was first purchased but now
Old 10 Sep 2011, 11:34 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Loud squealing when turning left

Welcome to the forum.

Probably your power steering pump but that's only a guess. When you go back, have the mechanic put the car up o the lift with you inside the car and while you up there start the engine and give the steering wheel a good hard turn to the left and right to see if you can make the noise come back.

That should have been done with the first mechanic. You changed the serpentine belt and tensioner for nothing. You should also never have to change the radiator twice. Whoever you working with obviously doesn't know the workings of a PT.

It would also be nice if you introduced yourself and give some background information instead of just logging on and asking for help. We're a forum, not a question and answer site.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 10 Sep 2011 at 11:36 am.
Old 12 Sep 2011, 11:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry - I didn't realize I should be introducing myself, actually not sure what to say other than I have owned my PT cruiser since 2007. I'm not familiar with the forum was just trying to find an answer to my problem and thru google found this site. Thank you for your reply.
Old 23 Oct 2011, 10:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

my introduction i guess can go like this?
year:02
model:touring automatic
kilometers:154xxx
home:finland
temp outside now:7 celcius
ownership:2 yrs
ok then letīs start. i get the same problem sometimes (in one-in-five startups..) eg whining while turning left or right. seems like it happens when engineīs cold. doesnīt "normally" do it when warm. fluid checks-out too. iīll take blueberry in before x-mas.
Old 23 Oct 2011, 10:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

...and your same problem gets the same answer: probably your steering pump. Get it up on a lift and have it checked out to narrow it down to the pump or something else.
Old 24 Oct 2011, 12:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

yep.. added atf-x and allīs well again. didnīt need much.