Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
bad t'stat ?????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Sep 2011, 02:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default bad t'stat ?????

hello all first post here but have gotten alot of help from old posts.
so my wives car is having problems its an 04 not a turbo the problem is its leaking antifreeze from an unknown location
it starts leaking after it warms up there is no white smoke from the exhust and the upper and lower hoses seem fine so what im wondering is could a stuck t'stat cuase a leak??? i work alot and have almost no time to work on this so any help would be really great
thanks
Danny
Old 12 Sep 2011, 02:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: bad t'stat ?????

well the Thermostat is a super easy fix but saddly im thinking the water pump which is the other end of the DIY spectrom how many miles and has it has the correct coolent in it????
and the best question has the water pump been changed---its in that timing belt area so if one was done they might have both been done
Old 12 Sep 2011, 02:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

also the radiator could be cracked and yes a Stuck Theromastat could but it woudl cause a lot of boiling over and you would know where it was from
Old 12 Sep 2011, 03:00 pm
Veteran Cruiser

You might wish to take the time to open the hood and at least try to shoot
for a general location.
At this point we could tell you the most extreme to simplest.
Old 12 Sep 2011, 03:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

hey ok thanks for the quick replies
its got about 70,000 miles and the water pump has not been changed
yeah i think its the pump as well im about to throw in a new t'stat 20 bucks an a quick job i guess it cant hurt
as for the location of the leak it looks like its coming from around the pullies (water pump area) i guess but like i said i can only see the drips not the actual spot its leaking from
could the incorrect fuild cuase it to leak?? it did overheat pretty bad about 2 months ago if that makes adifference
anyway thanks again
Danny
Old 12 Sep 2011, 04:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ok so as figured it wasnt the t'stat............
time to get ripped off at the shop looks like a new water pump is gonna have to be put in.. unless anybody got some ideas??
thanks again
Danny
Old 16 Sep 2011, 12:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

hello again
just wanted to give a little more info and ask some questions.
so the car is still leaking, but it only starts leaking when it heats up and some one told me that if it was the water pump it would leak all the time is that true??? also does someone have a cooling system diagram or maybe someone can just tell me if there is a hose i am missing?? it seems to me that maybe there is a crack in a hose and it only starts to leak when that hose heats up and the crack opens up, maybe???
anyway thanks for any help you guys can give me as i got no time or money to mess around with this thing
Danny
Old 16 Sep 2011, 01:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

as far as I know the PT has 2 hoses 1 upper and 1 lower i changed both of mine it was pretty easy

the wrong collent usally will not cause it to leak it will just crode the inside of your radiator and eat your water pump fins

if it leaks when it getts warmed up its beacuse the metal expands and it will give it room to leak

and the last thing is this

IF you do yuor water pumpp you really need to do the timing belt it is about $200 more for parts and the labor should be the same since they arer already in that area if you dont then in less than 30,000 miles you will be back in and paying anopther $900
Old 16 Sep 2011, 01:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

hey thanks for the reply
yeah i see the two large hoses and they both seem to be ok leak free. i guess i was wondering if there are any other hoses. sorry im poor right now and just tring to figure out if there is any other things i can check before changing the water pump. at this point i really need the car i am losing out on work cause the wife has to take my car. i know its not the best answer but could you recommend a stop leak product???
thanks again
Danny
Old 16 Sep 2011, 02:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

well the ones i use are the Barhs its the round tube and I think it is a ulkey brown it may slow the leak down and hey it might even stop it but just remember its nto a fix also the tube with the silver beads has worked for me in the past