Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A/C Compressor Replacement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Sep 2011, 07:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default A/C Compressor Replacement

I'm new here but after reading all the problems with A/C compressors on the PT I just wanted to make sure I was hitting all the key things, that needed to be check out or changed.

07 PT Cruiser Touring Edition 100k miles
Had it about 6 months, and took it into the shop to have the brakes replaced and it started sputtering and idling really hard, probably with the A/C on. I'm a girl and I don't think to turn stuff off. Later it started acting like it was going to stall and actually shut off a couple times. It also sounds like a turbo when your are going up a hill on the interstate. After it started doing those things, I took it back to the shop and they said it was a whole in the air intake, they taped it up and started ordering the part. I took it to a mechanic in my neighborhood and he actually looked for the problem and said it was the a/c compressor because the belt was catching and it was warped... so he cut the belt and it sounded better. I'm not driving it now, but I wanted to make sure I got everything checked out before I get it back. I guess I just scared myself with reading all the stuff that was really wrong when they thought it was the A/C, I can live without A/C I live in WV.

I picked up that the radiator fans can cause the A/C compressor to work harder and break so I have that.

What wires and plugs are you referring to when you say the high quality ones? I doubt any of this was ever done since it was one owner before me. Also getting ready to do an oil change so what oil should I have him use? The synthetic high mileage stuff and good filters?

I love my car, it's my first car. And I will definitely be keeping it long haul. It may just take awhile for this student to get it all fixed up.
Old 13 Sep 2011, 06:29 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: A/C Compressor Replacement

welcome to the forums. great sources of info on here. my car has 167000 and needs some maintenance here and there but at least its paid off. for your a/c check your fan which i believe u said u got a new one. check freon levels and make sure ur compressor is good. there are MANY factors for a/c issues with these cars. also have both ur pressure switches changed out. the low side one can be easily done yourself. the high side one has to have the a/c discharged before u change it. both parts are like $20 a pop. good luck
Old 13 Sep 2011, 09:36 am
Regular Cruiser

The a/c share the same belt as power steering. You'll be driving around without power steering as well.

Radiator fan can NOT cause a/c compressor to work harder.

Neither can a/c compressor cause radiator fan to work harder.

Saving your money and get that a/c compressor replaced. It'll cost you around $1000 for a new compressor.

Watch out for anchor engine mounts!!
Old 13 Sep 2011, 10:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

not wanting to disagree but if the fans do not work and it sounds like they are not ---it will cause the car to get hot and it will cansue the car to sputter and run like crap-- and it will actually cause the pop off vavlue on the condendor to over heat and to open and spray freon out
cutting the belt was not my first choice however IF the compressor is locked up in the on positin(rarely happens ) that woudl be the only way to drive the car

the spark plugs and the plug wires are also pretty easy and there is a sticky on the tech section this is a job you can do with just a simple socket set if yours is a non torbo id just get a set of platuim plugs and something like MSD wires or anything other than a stock mopar set

and the oil well that is always a personal opinion yes the synthetic oil is best and a good wixs oil filter is good as well

a lot of guys use the mobil 1 and a mobil 1 oil filter i use Castrol full synthetic and a Wix filter

if you get the fans changed and a good set of plugs you might be surprised how much better you baby will run

Id tyr to replace the fan its a $100 on ebay and it will ahve everything new its a easy job and there are a lot of people on here who can walk you through it then get the belt replaced and see what happens
Old 14 Sep 2011, 07:55 am
Regular Cruiser

I bet you her radiator fan works fine, other wise the car will be overheated by now.

Here's what a a/c compressor clutch fails sounds and look like.

http://www.thelostartof.net/tryingbe...project/ac.mp4

Watch out for anchor engine mounts!!
Old 14 Sep 2011, 10:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

remember there are 2 speeds a slow and a high and if the high speed is dead it will let the ac mess up
Old 14 Sep 2011, 03:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I hate to tell you, but at 100,000 miles, your PT needs the timing belt replaced - I'll bet it was not replaced, because people trade rather than pump the money into a car they are getting rid of. A rough estimate is about $1,000.
A/C won't come on unless you flip to the blue positions of the dial - OR - you put the fan direction switch to defrost.
Ask around for a mechanic that can be trusted at auto parts stores and gas stations, and when you get the same name 2 or 3 times, try him.
Synthetic oil is worth the extra cost, Fram oil filters are garbage, and new spark plugs (the Champioins aren't bad) and get any name brand spark plug wires - NOT the Chrysler spark plug wires unless they are the Mopar high performance wires.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 14 Sep 2011, 04:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

Replaced my fan assembly today. Followed the directions here on the forum and it only took about an hour and a half. Low speed was working but only intermittently and high speed was toast. Now I have cool air again.
Old 09 Mar 2012, 01:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: A/C Compressor Replacement?

Ok my wifes 2006 PT A/c began to work sporadically last fall. I was able to determine with you all's help that the radiator Low Speed fan was not working. I replaced it finally this week and still no A/C should I replace the low speed switch now too? Do I need to get someone to refresh freon if I attempt that repair on my own? The A/c compressor is not coming on at all.
I am hoping for some guidance...thanks