Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Low Speed Radiator Fan Motor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Sep 2011, 07:16 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Low Speed Radiator Fan Motor

I'm having a problem I hope someone can help me correct. I'll try to explain as best as possible -*I'm NOT a mechanic but with the correct steps I think I can repair the problem: I've posted this problem before and have gotten good replies but I'm simply double checking before I try.

1. Check Engine light is on on indicating the low speed motor in the radiator fan is not working.

2. Is there 1 motor with two speeds on 01 Cruiser?

3. When is the low speed supposed to kick in?

The mechanic I've taken the car to has wired the high speed to remain on -ALWAYS - WHICH I DON'T THINK IS A GOOD IDEA.

4. I know the motor can be replaced but money is a factor and since the car is an 01 I'm wondering if I can manually turn it on by running a wire from the motor to an inside toggle switch when I see the car is beginning to run hot. OR will the high speed turn on when it is programmed to?

5. I'm wondering if that is possible how do I tell the computer to turn off the Check Engine Light - which in this case has nothing to do with emissions but is keeping me from passing inspection.

6. It has approx. 96k - 2.2? engine
Old 14 Sep 2011, 11:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Low Speed Radiator Fan Motor

well im sure others will chim in but wiring it direct is really not a good idea I knwo you said money is tight and I do so understand that but you can get a new fan complete with relays on evil bay for around $90 that will fix all your problems at 1 time

i would normaly say to disconect the battery--the positive post for about a half hour and it will reset the codes but as long as the fan is out it will continmue to send the code---and I never knew that the PT had a code for the fan motor what is the number?????
Old 14 Sep 2011, 01:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It's been so long that I've forgotten the number code : 1409 0r 1490

I'm pretty sure it's one of these.

What about when the high speed fan comes on? I agree I don't like it on all the time - why can't I simply let it come on on its own?

Something sounds fishy with this mechanic
Old 14 Sep 2011, 03:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

it is on when the ac is on

Tags
low speed radiator fan