Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Evap System - Not Gas Cap

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Sep 2011, 05:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Evap System - Not Gas Cap

Over the last year we've been plagued with the P0456 code, and even sometimes a random check engine light with no code. The evap canister, gas cap, and lines have been replaced under warranty. Now the light is back on and the dealer is telling us it's some sort of evap pump that's in the gas tank.

Anyone know wtf he's talking about? I'm trying to track down the part, but the only thing I've been able to find is the leak detection pump. Obviously they didn't find this to be the part while the car was under warranty, and now they're trying to charge us 500 bucks to take care of the problem. If I can figure out what part it is, I'll do the work myself if it's cheap enough.

Pretty pissed at the dealership right now, and I'm about ready to tell them where to shove this car.
Old 15 Sep 2011, 06:26 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Evap System - Not Gas Cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by dveldt View Post
Over the last year we've been plagued with the P0456 code, and even sometimes a random check engine light with no code. The evap canister, gas cap, and lines have been replaced under warranty. Now the light is back on and the dealer is telling us it's some sort of evap pump that's in the gas tank.

Anyone know wtf he's talking about? I'm trying to track down the part, but the only thing I've been able to find is the leak detection pump. Obviously they didn't find this to be the part while the car was under warranty, and now they're trying to charge us 500 bucks to take care of the problem. If I can figure out what part it is, I'll do the work myself if it's cheap enough.

Pretty pissed at the dealership right now, and I'm about ready to tell them where to shove this car.
The dealer may be right....I've been having a similar problem for a few months...I just disconnect the battery for a few minutes and the code goes away for a few months....eventually I will drop the gas tank and change the evap pump.
Old 15 Sep 2011, 06:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

That's the problem. Now that we're out of warranty, of course the dealer is right. I refuse to pay these idiots for something they should have caught a year ago. Just trying to figure out if it's the evap pump or not because I haven't heard back from the wife (it's her car) so not sure exactly which part it is. It has something to do with checking the pressure in the fuel tank.
Old 15 Sep 2011, 06:40 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Yeah, dealers suck...just disconnect the battery and see if it goes away... later you can just buy the part ( maybe for $60-$80 ) and change your self or pay a mechanic maybe an hour of work to change it You can drive it with EVAP code with no issues but will not pass emissions inspection
Old 16 Sep 2011, 04:23 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Check the wiring that goes to the LDP on the passenger rear underbody. On mine, I had a EVAP code though can't remember the number but the 0456 sounded familiar and the wire for the LDP was cut. Location right before the pump where the taped wires are are exposed to road debris. Cut the tape to expose the 3 wires and found one broke. Fixed that and no more light.
Old 20 Jul 2013, 06:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok good to see I'm not the only one with this problem did the gas cap the purge valve and a couple hoses still the light came back on. Tryed disconecting the battery light came back on next day. Don't know what to do to now to get my emissions done