PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Where's the park/neutral switch located '02 auto?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Sep 2011, 06:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Where's the park/neutral switch located '02 auto?

I've got the switch. I've narrowed my problem to it being the most likely culprit. Got one from the parts house. Now, do you know where it's located on an '2 automatic? Thanks!
Old 18 Sep 2011, 08:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Where's the park/neutral switch located '02 auto?

I've never dealt with the Neutral safety switch and can't find a picture of where it goes. In a Google search I found two different answers for owners asking where it is:

If the vehicle is an automatic and depending on the year it is located on the lower drivers side of the trans and is called a prndl switch. This for I believe 2005 or older otherwise it is called a transmission range sensor which is located on the valve body inside the trans. This would require removing the trans shift lever, the trans pan and valve body.

It usually screws into the transmission case from the outside, and is located near the shift lever.

Hopefully one of the others on the forum can help you out.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 18 Sep 2011 at 08:13 pm.
Old 19 Sep 2011, 10:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I've found the park/neutral switch. On the '02 you have to remove battery, tray, and support bracket(4 bolts-15mm socket) and it's just beneath where the battery bracket attaches to the body. Remove the electrical connection that is connected to it . My local NAPA and O'Reilly parts stores seem to carry it readily. About $30. Tomorrow I tear into it. It looks as it you have to remove the transmission pan and go in through there.
Old 20 Sep 2011, 06:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Don't know why you have so many happy faces at the end of your post? Doesn't sound like a nice job to me. I hate to suggest it, but if i were you I wouldn't replace that switch with the part from NAPA and O'Reilly's. Too many owners have had problems with electrical parts from after market stores. It might cost a bit more but I'd use a MOPAR replacement part.
Old 21 Sep 2011, 08:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to javolier

using a translator

Cómo comprobar un interruptor de Seguridad Automotriz Neutral | Health Articles
Old 21 Sep 2011, 08:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to javolier

something else. I hope to serve you

How a car starts, step by step
Old 21 Sep 2011, 09:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

As Crewzin mentions, this is NOT an easy task. Here's some info for you from the OEM service manual:

This shows the connection points for the TRS (Transmission Range Sensor), the lighter blue is the TRS connector itself -

Note the comment about removing the TRS -

Functions of the TRS -

Now the removal and replacement of the TRS, because it's embedded in the valve body, is like 15 pages long so I'm not going to post all of that here. Again, it's a job most decent mechanics can do and if you're patient and have the right tools, it can be done at home also. However, I'd suggest having an entire weekend free to do this kind of job. While it may not be difficult, it's very time consuming.

Last edited by Chromenut; 21 Sep 2011 at 09:14 am.
Old 21 Sep 2011, 10:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks, Chromenut. I'd love to see the teardown/replace instructions. I have to do this myself because $$ are thin right now and I've got more time than $$$. Even if it is fifteen pages. Thanks!

Crewzin, all the happy faces are because now, at least I located where the P/N switch is. I was getting little on no information before my post as to the location.
Old 21 Sep 2011, 10:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Javolier, Thanks. Very informative. I do appreciate all the knowledgeable people who help all of us others who have limited knowledge in certain areas. Thanks, again!
Old 21 Sep 2011, 10:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

BTW, The reason I'm having to do this is the car was in an accident. A pickup's rear bumper was kind of enough to help the car stop. The battery, radiator, and other parts were punctured, bent, broken. I'm wondering if the battery acid pouring down on the electrical connection for Transmission Range sensor (Park/neutral switch) could be the problem, and how would I go about checking it?