Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
catalytic converter size

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Sep 2011, 02:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default catalytic converter size

my wifes 01 PT showed up a p0420 code yesterday, it has 145k miles and ive noticed it seems like its lacking a bit in power so im assuming the cat is going south.

Does anyone know the factory inlet and outlet size of the cat so i can order a aftermarket one to install ?
Old 21 Sep 2011, 09:34 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: catalytic converter size

see below...

since it's a bolt-on, it doesn't list the inlet size.
Old 21 Sep 2011, 10:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the info..
Old 12 Nov 2011, 10:16 am
Young Cruiser

Has any one had one of these hooked up to a header or factory exhaust manifold to make sure that the flow actually does increase?
Old 12 Nov 2011, 10:33 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to srebik Send a message via MSN to srebik

Magnaflow Direct-Fit Catalytic Converters - Videos & 188+ Reviews on Magnaflow California Legal Catalytic Converters

here's a maganflow cat sold at auto anything.
they have a version that is 50 state legal as well as a 49 state legal version.
Though I am currently only seeing cat's for non-turbo pt cruisers.
that might just be all that autoanything.com offers or it might be all that magnaflow themsevles offers. not 100% sure on that one.

2003 Dark Blue Non-Turbo Pt Cruiser w/ 5 speed
Old 13 Nov 2011, 10:26 am
Young Cruiser

I have considered looking at getting a test pipe installed after the header and then put a "generic" straight through cat and then do the rest of the exhaust that way.
On my last car my muffler was a good ole cherry bomb but I wasnt able to finish out the car because some idiot ran a red light and side swiped me.
I have had the long discussion with people before about back pressure and where the tail pipe can be located.
Back pressure = bad = when exhaust exits the chamber and goes into the exhaust system it has a 0 back pressure. At each bend, turn, twist, cat, muffler, or anything else that is installed back pressure increases. If back pressure becomes too great then the engine will not be able to get rid of all of the exhaust gases and it will rob the engine of power if it doesnt kill the engine. This is what is so vital to header designs. If designed properly when each cylinder expells gas and it passes through the collector it should create a vacume effect in the other manifold tubes to assist in exhaust gas expulsion. If the header is not designed correctly the exhaust expulsion from two or more cylinders will "collide" into one another and will greatly increase back pressure and will rob horse power. That could be the biggest reason why one header does not actually perform better than the factory exhaust manifold. The 4-2-1 design is usally better for all around RPM range HP but the headers are usally longer to facilitate longer exhaust gas pockets trying to merge with out any collisions.

Any one know where I can find a "test pipe" and the rest of the exhaust piping size?

Last edited by NAPTSS; 14 Nov 2011 at 03:50 pm.
Old 14 Nov 2011, 03:53 pm
Young Cruiser

OK never mind I found one over at OBX