Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
girgling sound

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Sep 2011, 05:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default girgling sound

my wifes pt after driving for about 30min. when she shuts it off i can hear a girgling sound under the hood. Ive read and searched A LOT on this subject. Ive read worst case its a headgasket or head issue.

Heres my situation... The guy i recently purchased the PT from is a mechanic at a high end dealer and he "says" he had the head milled and installed a new HG. After looking at the head closely it doesnt look like its been to a machine shop. He replaced the radiator fan motor and it does come on.

Anyways, I bleed the heck out of it, gone through about a gallon of antifreeze while the front end was up on ramps, i recently did a tune up and the plugs looked good and it runs good and the temp gauge never goes over the half mark. Today while bleeding, i had the rad cap off and about the time the thermostat opened up it started boilinig out, i added more, it quit boiling. After thermostat opens, it boils again. when i first opened the hood i did find what looked like overspray of antifreeze. I went ahead and got a new radiator cap.

Now, heres whats odd, i can rev the engine up while the heater is on high and the air coming out of the vents will get hotter, let it idle down and about 30sec. later its still warm but not as hot as reving the engine. In my past experiences thats usually a sign of air in the system. Ive bleed and bleed and cant get any air out.

Basically i dont "think" its a HG problem, i think the waterpump isnt circulating the coolant enough, and/or the radiator is getting clogged.

what do you guys think ??? ( sorry for the long post )

Last edited by dpmeeks; 21 Sep 2011 at 06:43 pm.
Old 21 Sep 2011, 05:20 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: girgling sound

It could be a bad radiator for sure, see any small leaks anywhere?

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 21 Sep 2011, 06:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

nope not any leaks.. i did talk to the guy i bought it from and he had the head milled but didnt have it pressure checked. He thinks it may have a crack in the head.

i took it out on the highway for a drive, when i got home, i shut it off and it girgled just a little. My wife got in and started it up, i had my head under the hood, we let it run for a couple minutes, shut it off, and then it made the girgle sound pretty good, its coming back up into the overflow tank and bubbling in there.

Another thing.. when I drove it down the highway for a bit and at highway speed the temp needle drops down to almost the line below half way lline ( about the 4 o' clock position ). Let it idle for a couple minutes then it will come up to half way agian, start down the highway, it drops down again. Is that normal on PT's ? I know on most cars the needle will stay at the operating temp position ( usually half way on most gauges ) and usually only go up til the fan kicks on and then goes back to normal temp.

Last edited by dpmeeks; 21 Sep 2011 at 06:46 pm.
Old 21 Sep 2011, 06:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The coolant system is pressurized (when every thing is correct). The boiling temperature of water is 212 degrees Fahrenheit. When there's no air in the coolant system and everything is pressurized, that boiling point is raised to about 240 degrees. It sounds like you have trapped air and the water is boiling because the system isn't pressurized.

Gurgling sound under hood.....
Old 22 Sep 2011, 02:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

crew.. ive burped the heck out of it. Ive gone through atleast a gallon of antifreeze, had the front end up to help get the air out and it still does it.

Like i said, whats odd to me is the temp gauge moves so much during highway driving compared to idleing...
Old 22 Sep 2011, 07:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Did a search and found this .....

My engine coolant was boiling when I stopped my car? - Yahoo! Answers
Old 22 Sep 2011, 07:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

did you check to see if there is a theromastat in the car
Old 23 Sep 2011, 06:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm going through this same problem as we speak. The gurgling sound that I have found is the overflow bottle gurgling when it's hot. My 06 has never done this before and just started the gurgling and overheating last week. I replaced the thermostat, drained as much coolant as I could, and replaced it with water for now. Am having HOAT G5 put in today after a thorough flushing.

Interesting thing, when I started it last night after draining and doing a driveway flush, the A/C is still blowing warmer through the left vent than the right.

Also, I drove it around the block, at slow speeds, about 25 mph. . The low speed fan came on, and when I was pulling it back into the drive (after 2 miles), I could hear it gurgling again. I popped the hood and the overflow was pushing out all the water. The high speed fan never came on.
Old 23 Sep 2011, 06:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Now it could be the high speed relay BUT, it's a good bet that the high speed part of the motor is burnt out.
Old 24 Sep 2011, 07:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

Im having it checked today. Im also planning on replacing the thermostat, it has one in it, but, its odd to me that the temp gauge drops like it does, thats air in the system or stuck open thermostat id say.