Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
03 Touring Ed. upper motor mount replacement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Sep 2011, 11:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 03 Touring Ed. upper motor mount replacement

Hi All, I just wanted to take a second to post about my upper motor mount. I had been having a problem with my car for quite some time now. when shifting from reverse to drive it would really shift hard and make a thumping noise. It would also do the same thing (although not as hard) when slowing down to a stop. The last downshift(mines automatic) would be very hard and make a thumping noise. I had my repair shop take a quick look at it (my repair shop is owned by the former service manager from the local Chrysler dealership as well most of the techs that work there). I suggested it was either a bad mount or I was having a transmission issue. The service writer came out and had me go from reverse to drive while he and one of the techs watched to engine. They said the mounts were fine. So off I went thinking it was time to budget for a new tranny. After a couple of weeks and reading several posts here I went out and looked at it again. Sure enough the top mount on the passenger side was all torn up. I went to advanced auto parts and picked up a upper and lower mount(thought I would get the lower just in case) for $30.99 each(cheap enough). I was able to change the top mount in about 20 minutes and luckily the lower one seems to still be ok. I have done a few things to improve the performance of the car but this has been the best thing I have done so far. I could not believe the difference in performance. It actually accelerates now!! before when trying to accelerate uphill it would really lag, now its 100% better and no more thumping into gear or on downshift. I guess I need to find a new repair shop. If I had listened to them I would have replaced a transmission for nothing. Just goes to show you need to get a second opinion before shelling out for a major repair. The whole deal cost me $30.99 for the mount and $12.00 for the urothane sealer to fill the opening in it. (i returned the lower mount as I didn't need it). The mount also has a lifetime warranty. Thanks to this forum for all the great advice. Rick
Got Vinyl? 03 Touring Electric Blue, 17" HD Cool Down rims, Tinted Windows, K&N Cold Air Intake, Pioneer DEH-P7800MP head unit with XM Satellite radio, 6 3/4 Infinity Kappa Component Speakers in front doors, 6x8 Infinity Kappa 2 way speakers in rear pillars, Infinity 475a amp, Custom under seat 8 inch Kicker CompVT sub with zx200.2 Kicker amp and SSL 2 farad capacitor.
Old 22 Sep 2011, 11:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 03 Touring Ed. upper motor mount replacement

Glad it all turned out in your favor and the forum helped. Good luck.