Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Weather strip mod Temp?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Sep 2011, 11:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Weather strip mod Temp?

Ive read everyones posts about the weatherstrip mod ie:simple cowl air induction. It makes sense that it would let some extra airflow in. My question is has anyone measured the tempurature difference in the engine bay with a gauge? I wanted to know how big a difference it would be before and after, how much cooler it is at speed and all that good stuff. I dont think id cut mine up..but ill definetly take it off if I head up to the dragstrip. It just slides on and off so easy, I dont see why anyone would risk destroying it by cutting it in half. If you needed it for some reason it might be a hard to find item...I know there arent hardly any pt cruisers in the junkyards in my area. Anyways lets see whos got some insight into this one..
Old 22 Sep 2011, 12:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Weather strip mod Temp?

No insight here,but after reading a lot of threads about it years ago on PT CREW, I took the rear rubber strip off and put on a small thin chrome strip (for looks) which still left a gap for air to get in/out of the back of the engine bay. Never measured anything so don't know if it helped/worked but it's been that way for years.

P.S. Took the long rubber piece off that goes around the whole outside of the engine bay, but the first time I got caught in the rain, the whole engine got soaked and as you can see, I don't like to get it messed up so now it's back on.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 22 Sep 2011 at 12:37 pm.
Old 22 Sep 2011, 08:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Crewzin Ive gotta say dude you got the cleanest looking engine bay. I mean that in every sense lol. That battery box is sick and the chrome vacuum lines everywhere just makes it look mean! <----Us bowing to your awesomeness

Anyways, thats what I was afraid of is when it would rain. The chrome strip on the back is a good idea tho.
Old 22 Sep 2011, 08:11 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Won't be any performance benefit. It will actually hurt a turbo car as far as cooling the turbo. I did it for a while on my '01 and there was no benefit I could see.