Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Overheated and now A/C gets warm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Sep 2011, 12:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Overheated and now A/C gets warm

I have an 06 Touring, 2.4L B, with auto trans, 73000 miles. Last week, my wife pulled into the garage after her 30 minute freeway drive home. 10 minutes later, I got in to go somewhere, and when I started it, the temp gauge was reading hot and the temp light came on. The high speed fan came on and it was hitting something and shooting smoke out of the front. It looks like the fan was hitting the mesh on the lower rad hose, but I can't tell for sure. I shut it off, and then it made the gurgling noise of spitting into the overflow, along with a banging that sounded like the t-stat sticking. I cooled off the radiator with a garden hose, and everything returned to normal. I got a new thermostat, a Murray fail safe type, replaced it, and refilled it with Peak 50/50. I drove 3 miles to the gas station to fill it up and it was fine. I got in after filling it and pulled into traffic, and while waiting at the light, the high speed fan came on and started shooting smoke again. The gauge didn't go above 3/4. As soon as I started moving, the hi speed shut off, and I got it home without any other problems. I've tried bleeding the coolant, and I take the cap off when running and it's circulating fine. Now, the A/C is blowing cold on the far right vent, and gets warmer with each vent moving left. The far left vent blows hot. The overheating seems to have stopped, but now this A/C problem has me baffled. Any thoughts or suggestions? Any help would be appreciated. I'm disabled and can only do so much, but I'd like to try to do what I can before taking it to the shop.
Old 22 Sep 2011, 12:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Overheated and now A/C gets warm

im not sure how the vents can blow diffrent temps but if you say it is I belive you
Im not sure how to fix that but maybe a vacuem line has come off and is not lettign the panel inside open and or shut

One thing is that the PT dosent use normal Anti freez and the Peak you put in is the worng stuff the PT need to have HOAT G-5 it is pink or orange and yes it will mess things up if you mix the two id say you need to do a flush and fill Im not sure how fas it will gunk it up but I am sure it will

the fan shooting smoke sounds like ti is on its last leg the PT fans usally die at a pretty young age so id look into a new on from Ebay

the boiling back into the overflow is usally a BAD thing usally means the head gasket has went south
Old 22 Sep 2011, 12:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The A/C blowing warmer from right to left is a big puzzler. I was wondering if a damper door to the heater core might be stuck open.

I was considering buying a new radiator and fan, because I heard the radiators can plug up on these and no way to clean them, and the fan for the reason you mentioned.
I will pick up the proper anti freeze and will have to do a flush this weekend. Thanks for your help!
Old 22 Sep 2011, 03:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Getting the radiator and engine flushed today, and proper coolant replacing the Peak 50/50.

As I'm thinking about what has been happening with my '06, I'm beginning to think that the smoke that shoots out the front is the fan hitting the radiator when it goes to high speed. I don't see how the fan could hit the mesh or netting around the lower radiator hose. I'm going to have that checked when they flush the radiator.

As I have been reading all of the overheating problems on this forum, I am grateful for everyone posting their issues and fixes. Thanks for sharing!
Old 23 Sep 2011, 04:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Does anyone have a picture or diagram of a lower fan shroud of some sort. They put my car on the lift, and said that part is missing and is probably why it is overheating. Trying to find one online.
Old 23 Sep 2011, 05:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Not sure what your looking for. Maybe this will help.

Old 23 Sep 2011, 05:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Crewzin,

I thought they were talking about the fan too. Sorry. They are saying there is a piece that bolts to the lower facia that acts as a shroud of sorts. She sent me a pic of where it's supposed to be. Looks like it covers or shrouds the area just in front of trans pan and oil pan. Trying to find a way to upload it now.
Old 23 Sep 2011, 05:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

OK. I uploaded the pic of where it's supposed to mount.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0923111448a.jpg (87.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 23 Sep 2011, 06:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Crewzin,

Thanks for your help! As it turns out, the mechanic said that the fan shroud itself was ALSO busted. With your pic of the fan, I found a Dorman replacement unit from RockAuto for $89 with a lifetime warranty.

Additionally, I found a gallon of Prestone 50/50 that I remembered putting in the overflow last summer before going on vacation. So, because of my own stupidity, I contributed to the problem. The mechanic said the radiator was gelled up, but he removed most of it, best he could tell.
Old 23 Sep 2011, 07:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Make sure that radiator is flowing freely or you will have trouble. In fact that "gel" could have made it all around the whole cooling system so flush the whole thing as best you can.

As far as the fan, you should be able to reach the the electrical connection and find out if both speeds are working. If you can't do it, your mechanic should be able to.