Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Preparing To Travel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Sep 2011, 06:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Preparing To Travel

Ok, so my wife and I purchased an 06 PT Cruiser Touring with an automatic transmission, 4cyl 2.4 with 74,000 miles. Getting ready to move cross country from Richmond, VA to Mt. Shasta, CA. in about 2 weeks.

I've been hearing a lot about timing belts needing replacement rather quickly on this particular year. Now I purchased the Cruiser from a dealership and have the extended warranty (yada-yada) but what should I absolutely have checked out before heading out?
Old 23 Sep 2011, 06:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Preparing To Travel

You shouldn't have to worry about the timing belt till around the 100K mark. Like any other car, you want to make sure your tires are good and find out how to lower the spare in case you need it. While it's lowered, check the air pressure. To check to see if your coolant system is working properly. Let it sit at idle for about 15-20 minutes with the A/C on. Watch the temperature gauge. it shouldn't raise above the middle mark no matter how long the car sits.
Old 23 Sep 2011, 06:53 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Preparing To Travel

welcome to the forum, and sad to see you leave the great commonwealth of virginiaat the mileage you have you may want to have the transmission fluid flushed i had my 06 done at 60000 miles.hope you have a safe trip across the country
Old 23 Sep 2011, 07:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Good to know about the belts. Whew. I believe the fluids have already been changed, but I'll check with CarMax when I take it to them next week. I have a small clicking, sounds like a rock in the left tire only there is no rock. The cooling system seems to be fine. She'll idle with the A/c on and not go past the half mark. The one concern I have though came up today. While driving, in rain, I noticed that the A/C compressor cycled on and off several times while I was at a stop light. RPMS went from 750 to about 550 when the compressor turned on. Honestly had me a little concerned because it felt like she was going to shut down at the light. But that is all I have for them to check out so far.

The car is a nice ride, and fun.
Old 23 Sep 2011, 07:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

A 200 rpm drop isn't too bad when the compressor comes on but if it's going on and off pretty fast, it might mean you a little low in R134a. Have that checked.
Old 23 Sep 2011, 09:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Preparing To Travel

If you got a lot of water blown into the radiator, it will be less efficient in cooling. And, air of high humidity is not as efficent at cooling the radiator vanes.
But, with continued driving and warm engine temp, it should resolve quickly.

Could be that the rad fan kicked in at higher speed also at the same time.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 24 Sep 2011, 07:46 pm
Senior Cruiser

Check the auto trans fluid (when the engine is hot) to see if it's real nice and red--not reddish brown. If it's reddish brown--then have the dealer replace it with ATF+4 (only this stuff will do, by the way).

Ask the dealer about that rock thing going on. Maybe it's a nail that's hard to see. You don't want a flat. And make sure you have a good spare with 60psi of air in it; a jack; and tools for taking off the tire, etc.

Check oil, power steering fluid, coolant, etc.

Have a free brake inspection done, too. Les Schwab and Big-O will do that. Look at the fluid level in the brake fluid resevoir. Is it to the upper mark, or near it?

Bring an extra quart of oil with you on the road. Some PT's burn a quart of oil every 1000 miles. Some even less. Check the oil level after the engine has been shut down for at least ten minutes and add, if necessary. Don't overfill.

I agree with Crewzin. Sounds like your R134 is a bit low--unless your stoplights are very long in Virginia.

And remember, Mt. Shasta has very few stoplights; so you won't have to worry too much about the A/C when you get there.

And one last thing: make sure your fan operates at low and high speed.

Tim
Old 26 Sep 2011, 09:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I'd change the oil - and put Mobil 1 synthetic in there.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 26 Sep 2011, 12:43 pm
Cool Cruiser

Talking Re: Preparing To Travel

Freelanceken, we are going to be just over the hill from you...I live in Arcata, CA. on the coast. I used to run Service Stations and folks would come down the hill from Redding,Ca. and they would burn up their brakes because they would ride them all the time....scared of the mtn's.
I don't know about yours but my cruise control will slow you down on the mtn's.
So on long steep grades you can use it to control your speed...just a thought!
and don't ride the brakes all the time...just pump them to slow you down.....
I think you will love living out this way...if it gets too hot just come across the hill and breath some fresh ocean air....Happy traveling! PTpreacher..
Old 26 Sep 2011, 08:52 pm
Senior Cruiser

Or, you could just downshift to to "3" on your shifter ....

Tim