Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine Light

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Sep 2011, 10:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Engine Light

I have a 2001 PT limited edition, it currently has 100,615 miles. While driving yesterday, the engine light came on. Everything on the car was running fine and all the gauges looked fine. I checked the oil and it was a little low, so added more. I haven't been able to check again to see if this solved the problem. But after a little investigation, I'm wondering if just being a little low on oil would cause this light to come on. I don't have an owners maual, we bought the car used and it didn't come with one, so we are kind of guessing at what the lights mean. Can anyone help? Thanks.
Old 26 Sep 2011, 10:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Engine Light

well firsrt NO a little low on oil will not trip a code

Id to the key dance to see what the code is
There is a sticky telling you how to do it

Have you had the timing belt changed??? it wont throw a code but it will stop your car
Old 26 Sep 2011, 11:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Error Codes

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 26 Sep 2011, 12:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

OR that works too
Old 26 Sep 2011, 01:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks, hubby is gonna check codes when he gets home from work tonight. Just found out about that little trick today, hope it helps us out.
Old 27 Sep 2011, 12:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok, so I've got code P0551 power steering pressure sensor. How serious is this? Is the car still ok to drive? How fast does it need to be fixed? I only ask because I have a limited income and this car is my only transportation. Thanks.
Old 27 Sep 2011, 12:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

They do go bad. You can probably get away with it for awhile. It's easy to swap switches but a VERY messy job. Yo can't get the old one out and the new one in without a bunch of fluid coming out.

Old 27 Sep 2011, 12:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Crewzin. I appreciate the help.
Old 27 Sep 2011, 01:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojo61377 View Post
Ok, so I've got code P0551 power steering pressure sensor. How serious is this? Is the car still ok to drive? How fast does it need to be fixed? I only ask because I have a limited income and this car is my only transportation. Thanks.
Not serious.
What you should do is check the PS reservoir and be sure fluid isn't low, and top it off if it is.
It takes ATF + 4 - I hear WalMart sells it.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 28 Sep 2011, 07:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

So, I found the switch at Autozone for $26.00. Will the hubby need any special tools or anything other than power steering fluid to complete the job? I truly appreciate the help.