Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Taking the top off.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Sep 2011, 01:43 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Taking the top off.

Ok so after a few phone calls we (myself my dad and my grandpa) figured my knocking noise is my valves causing poor compression(probably caused by me loosing the timing belt while driving) so my questions to the forum are: Has any one had any kind of success in taking the top of their engine off and replacing about 8 valves? Do I need to replace the valve guides as well or should I prepare for that possibility? Could the heads have been damaged when I lost the belt too? Thanks for all the help and any responses you might post up!

Jeff 139k and still rolling
Old 27 Sep 2011, 02:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Taking the top off.

Jeff,
You can prepare for the worst, but I can tell you from the information from all the owners that lost their timing belt, and there has been many, only one has reported any kind of internal damage. Chances are that unless you were at the top of the rev range when the belt let go, you should be OK. Hopefully you aren't the second on the list of owners with internal damages.

After the belt change, how's the idle? As smooth as it was before the belt break? Any chance the timing is off? Many cases of someone changing the belt and not getting it just right and in fact, we've heard of everything being put back together 180 degrees off. Of course that couldn't be your problem because the car won't start. But one tooth can make a heck a lot of difference.
Old 27 Sep 2011, 02:17 pm
Young Cruiser

Well you know car guys they don't want to admit it could have been done wrong and I wasn't there when it happened so I have no idea. It's still possible and to be honest it did idle properly after it was changed but about 6 months ago it just all went to hell for the most part. I've replaced plugs, plug wires, my spark knock sensor, had a compression test done, swapped out coolant and all that good stuff. New water pump, new belt, all that good stuff. So really this is like my last ditch effort here before I just give up and drive it till it dies.
Old 27 Sep 2011, 02:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

So you did the compression test and it's bad. Is the PT using oil? Is it smoking out the exhaust? Knocking could come from a lot of different things including wrist pins, low oil pressure, bad main bearings. I'm sure you know the list. How about someone with a stethoscope to try and pinpoint where the knock is coming from.
Old 27 Sep 2011, 02:32 pm
Young Cruiser

The knocking is coming from the 3rd and 4th cylinders. The plugs are covered in this ash type stuff like it's not quite exhausting all the way or something. The 3rd and 4th cylinders showed 100 psi while the 1st and 2nd showed around 200 psi. I'm sure there's plenty involved in upper engine knock. It idles rough and the engine normally uses oil. i'm actually going to check after work today to see if I need to add some oil. The exhaust sounds like it's missing at idle. So I'm pretty sure it's from being down 2 cylinders. No smoke then again I'm usually in the car when it gets started. Also it doesn't run hot and I'm not losing coolant into my oil or oil into my coolant or anything like that so it's not the gasket like I thought originally.
Old 27 Sep 2011, 03:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

its hard for me to belive a PT will even move on 2 cylenders

If the vavlues are bent they are not goig to strightne out so if that is the case you will need new vavlue guides and new valvues and hope nothing has dropped into the cylender and scarred the bore up

its a lot of work but a lot of guys on here have done it and it seems to run good when they are finished
Old 28 Sep 2011, 11:42 am
Young Cruiser

Well believe it lol. It's basically like 3 or 3 and 1/2 cylinders or so. It still gets compression but it's just not enough. Plus there's the noise. So I'm trying to think of everything I'm going to have to take off. Would I need to take off the water pump and things like that (power steering etc)? I know I'm going to need to take out my AC lines to get to the timing belt properly and from there I take the top of the case off and then the over head cams and all that. From there should it be another section and then that reveals the heads right?