Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine Miss On deceleration

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Sep 2011, 07:33 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Engine Miss On deceleration

Hey, guys. I've got a 2002 PT Touring with 120,000 miles on it. I've done the timing belt/water pump replacement, and changed the plugs/wires around 80,000 miles. I really haven't had any driveability issues until lately.

When driving down the freeway around 65 or 70, I've recently begun to notice a little bit of a what feels like a mis-fire when I let off the gas to adjust my speed. I don't notice anything like this on acceleration. I also noticed something this evening that kind of freaked me out.

While waiting in a drive-thru line idling, the engine seemed to stumble and want to almost shut down unless I gave it some gas. This has me kind of freaked because I'm working out of town this week (about 2-1/2 hrs away), and I really can't afford to have it take a dump on me this far away from home. I have't gotten any check engine lights, so I'm really kind of at a loss as to what's going on here. Any constructive and helpful suggestions would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by sscanlan; 27 Sep 2011 at 08:36 pm. Reason: typo
Old 27 Sep 2011, 07:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Engine Miss On deceleration

It's been 40K so it won't hurt to go for new plugs and wires. Its' cheap and easy and can't hurt.
Old 27 Sep 2011, 08:40 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks for the input, Carey. What kind of plugs/wires would you recommend for just everyday driving and dependability? I'm recovering from having a heart attack 4 months ago, and I was unemployed with no insurance at the time, so needless to say, money is kind of tight for the foreseeable future.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 27 Sep 2011, 09:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Steve.

Almost any plug wires other than the OEM's from Chrysler. Even an inexpensive set form Pep Boys, Auto Zone etc.

Plugs. To save money, just a copper set from Champion but also price the Double Platinum Champions #7570 if it fits into your budget. Gap anything you bu at .040in
Old 28 Sep 2011, 01:50 pm
Senior Cruiser

have you ever cleaned the throttle body? If it's been awhile try that out...

I like the NGK plugs, copper will work just fine, .040 gap works well too for any plug.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 01 Oct 2011, 03:33 pm
Regular Cruiser

Hey, guys. I put in a set of the Champion Double Platinum's today along with a decent set of plug wires. The step by step pictures posted here on the website were a real big help, as I don't have a shop manual for my PT. I set my laptop up on the front seat while I was working and referred to that.

I did the key dance before I started to tear into this, and it had no codes stored. It seems to be idling just fine right now. I'm gonna take it out for a run pretty soon to see how it feels while driving it. My old plugs were just worn down, but looked normal, color-wise.

Steve
Old 01 Oct 2011, 03:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

With a 2002 you had to deal with the EGR pipe. Hope you got it back in good and tight. Let us know if the miss went away.
Old 01 Oct 2011, 03:57 pm
Regular Cruiser

Hey, Carey.
Yes, I got the EGR pipe back in and tightened sufficiently. I wanted to ask you, is the rubber hose that goes from the PCV valve back to the intake just normal gas-line style hose? Or is it a molded hose, so it won't collapse because of the bend? I noticed when I was working on the car today that at the end of the hose where it fits onto the manifold, it appears to have some small cracks in it. I think the hose is long enough for me to just chop around 3/4 of an inch off at that end and re-connect to the manifold, but figured I'd ask you while I'm at it.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 01 Oct 2011, 04:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Steve,

It's not molded but you don't want to make that bend out of the PCV valve too tight as to make a crease in the hose and stiffen the air flow.
Old 01 Oct 2011, 05:26 pm
Regular Cruiser

That's kind of what I was thinking, Carey. I'm going to look at it tomorrow. I think I can chop about 3/4" off of the end attached to the manifold without causing the hose to collapse at the bend.

On a different note, I took the car out for a ride, and it seems to be idling smoother, with more power. I'll take this as a good sign!