PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Question about oil leak. (was PM'd to me)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Sep 2011, 04:13 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Question about oil leak. (was PM'd to me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1957
I just want to pots this message and see if anyone encountered my issues....
My 2005 PT with 90,000 miles started to leak oil a little bit, valve cover gasket was replaced. The oil is not coming form the oil pan,not from the oil seals either,any ideas?? please help, thanks!
Going to direct him here to this post.

227 HP and 281 TQ

new best of 14.56 1/4 mile on 7/25/12 still using the canned tune from my diablosport predator.

*Stage 1, DSP w/93 canned tune, 3" o2 housing, 3" FWDPerformance downpipe with cutout. Bwoody solid mounts. AMX1397 TTAB with K&n drop in filter and airbox mod. AMX1397 lower pipe and AMX1397 uppipe with HKS BOV
* stock nsrt rims powdercoated black, chrome pillars.
* 3 gauge pod w/ aem wideband, Autometer ultralite oil pressure and 30/30 boost, Mopar 8" sub.*

Old 29 Sep 2011, 04:29 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Question about oil leak. (was PM'd to me)

There was an oil sending unit leaking oil on mine at 94,000 that was replaced just prior to me getting the car. I'm not sure where it was though, the dealership replaced it when the previous owner had the timing belt done.

I think it was this one discussed in this thread...

Install - Oil Pressure Sensor

Last edited by DuRoc; 29 Sep 2011 at 04:32 pm.
Old 29 Sep 2011, 07:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

He's like 4 years older than me so why doesn't he post it himself? Just curious, I find this whole thing odd.

As to the oil leak, he really needs to check and insure that his make-up are hose and his PCV valve are clean and working properly. If he's not getting positive crankcase ventilation, he's building up oil pressure and can be forcing it out through various locations. First place to look is the dipstick, I've seen several PT's spit back out of it. Check the front of the block, facing the radiator, to see if it's oil coated. If so, the leak is up front/on top and not the pan area.

Also, ask if he's had his oil "professionally" changed. Especially at one of these "Jiffy Lube" type of quick-change joints. They tend to either over torque the pan screw or cross-thread it, ruining the connection between it and the pan, causing leaks. This happens entirely too often to PT's, may be the threaded portion of the pan is just too soft metal.
Old 29 Sep 2011, 07:12 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
He's like 4 years older than me so why doesn't he post it himself? Just curious, I find this whole thing odd.

I'm with you there chrome, no posts, just a pm to me and not sure if to anyone else.

Just figured I'd help a noob out.

227 HP and 281 TQ

new best of 14.56 1/4 mile on 7/25/12 still using the canned tune from my diablosport predator.

*Stage 1, DSP w/93 canned tune, 3" o2 housing, 3" FWDPerformance downpipe with cutout. Bwoody solid mounts. AMX1397 TTAB with K&n drop in filter and airbox mod. AMX1397 lower pipe and AMX1397 uppipe with HKS BOV
* stock nsrt rims powdercoated black, chrome pillars.
* 3 gauge pod w/ aem wideband, Autometer ultralite oil pressure and 30/30 boost, Mopar 8" sub.*

Old 29 Sep 2011, 07:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I get the PM's all the time. Sometimes I help out, sometimes I send them to the forum.

I'm with Chrome on this one. If he's been anywhere near those 10 minute oil change places, there's good chance they might have screwed something up. PT needs to get on a lift so the leak can be pin-pointed. Maybe as simple as the filter not being tight.
Old 30 Sep 2011, 07:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

There's a dye they can add to oil that shows up under UV light and will pinpoint a leak.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles