PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

No heat from heater

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Sep 2011, 05:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default No heat from heater

2003 PT, only blows lukewarm air. No leaks from heater core, coolant is fine (I had the cooling system flushed) but still no heat. Blower working fine, air mix (colder/hotter) seems to be working. Any ideas before we go to the dealer. Also, both hoses to heater core are hot.... Thank you for the time....
Old 29 Sep 2011, 05:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: No heat from heater

I think you covered all the things that could be wrong to not give you heat except the heater core itself.

Here's two guys from All (MO)PAR Repairs and what they have to say about your problem:

Gerald Richey:

Your heater core can become clogged and leave no other noticeable problems with the remaining cooling system. If anything clogs first, it will normally be the heater core. The heater core has the smallest passages in the entire cooling system. If a "pour in" repair was ever made two or more times, depending on the pour in brand, I can nearly guarantee that at least a partial clog in the heater core will occur causing less effective heating. [Problems can occur without "pour in" repairs, too.]

If the heat control slider (the gadget you move to adjust the amount of heat/cold air coming in) loses its connection to the duct, your car is still producing heat, but it's not coming in to the passenger compartment!

The radiator cap may also not be making a tight seal.

Gene Poon:

If your heater core is plugged, you might not need to replace it. It's a lot of work...includes discharging your air conditioning and recharging it later [not something most people have the equipment to do].

Radiator Stop Leak leaves a soft residue most of the time. Try this: swap the inlet and outlet hoses to the heater core. This will backflow it and might just remove any soft deposits plugging it. That worked for me on a Valiant. The two hoses were of different diameters, so I had to force one of them to go on, and really clamp down on the other one to prevent leaks. But the results were instant. Just a five-minute drive, and I had good heat again. I immediately parked the car, let it cool, and drained the cooling system. That Valiant blew hot from the heater any time I wanted it, from then on.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 29 Sep 2011, 06:35 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: No heat from heater

If the core's plugged, inlet hose'll be hot; out cold.

Remove said hoses and go after them with garden hose, reverse flushing makes sense, eh?

Another issue is oil in coolant- It'll cause gasket between septums to fail,
then heat goes right out outlet hose, bypassing the core: