Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
What does this light mean?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Sep 2011, 08:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default What does this light mean?

My little girl is really sick and just had surgery so I'm trying to avoid a stop at the mechanic/auto zone. Can anybody help me out with what this light might mean? It stays on after I turn the car off too.

Old 29 Sep 2011, 08:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: What does this light mean?

That means your fog lights are on. You mush have your running lights or regular headlight on to activate the fog lights. you pull out the end of the stalk to turn the fog lights on. Push in on the end to turn them off.

The bad news is that if the light stay on after you turn the car off, the multi-function stalk (the one that turns the headlight on) is bad and your battery will run down until it's dead.

Do you know where the fuse box is down near your left knee. Find the #8 fuse and pull it out. That will turn off the fog lights until you can fix the stalk.

NOW, after saying all that; you are turning the running light/head lights off when you turn the car off, right? If you leave the lights on with the fog lights, they will stay on even after the key is out. I just tried it but there is an alarm (beep, beep) that tries to tell you if the headlight are left on with the key being in the ignition.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 29 Sep 2011 at 08:42 pm.
Old 29 Sep 2011, 08:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
That means your fog lights are on. You mush have your runnng lights or regular headlight on to activate the fog lights. you pull out the end of the stalk to turn the fog lights on. Push in on the end to turn them off.
Could it be a fluke!? I just went to check and they're not on...
Old 29 Sep 2011, 08:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Maybe there's timer of some sort that turns your lights off, I'm not sure.
Old 29 Sep 2011, 08:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
That means your fog lights are on. You mush have your running lights or regular headlight on to activate the fog lights. you pull out the end of the stalk to turn the fog lights on. Push in on the end to turn them off.

The bad news is that if the light stay on after you turn the car off, the multi-function stalk (the one that turns the headlight on) is bad and your battery will run down until it's dead.

Do you know where the fuse box is down near your left knee. Find the #8 fuse and pull it out. That will turn off the fog lights until you can fix the stalk.

NOW, after saying all that; you are turning the running light/head lights off when you turn the car off, right? If you leave the lights on with the fog lights, they will stay on even after the key is out. I just tried it but there is an alarm (beep, beep) that tries to tell you if the headlight are left on with the key being in the ignition.
Ha ok - so my battery is already dead... guess thats why it looks like no lights are on!

Ok soooo at the risk of sounding dumb - how do I fix the multi-function stalk? and is it gonna be expensive?
Old 29 Sep 2011, 09:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Well, you can leave the No#8 fuse out of the fuse box and you don't have to do anything except charge up the battery. The fog lights won't work but that's no big deal.

The MFS (Muti-function switch) costs somewhere around $75 and you can change it out pretty easy with instructions on this forum.
Old 29 Sep 2011, 09:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Well, you can leave the No#8 fuse out of the fuse box and you don't have to do anything except charge up the battery. The fog lights won't work but that's no big deal.

The MFS (Muti-function switch) costs somewhere around $75 and you can change it out pretty easy with instructions on this forum.
Thanks very much!!
Old 29 Sep 2011, 09:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Your welcome.
Old 30 Sep 2011, 05:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

How to Repair the Multifunction Switch w/ Pictures (Fog Lights)
I replaced the one in my daughter's GT wirth one from RockAuto: 2005 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER Multi-Function Switch - that was before these write-ups on how to repair the switch.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 30 Sep 2011, 07:08 am
Senior Cruiser

FYI,
the MFS that Auto Zone sells is a MOPAR part #
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer