Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
I just spent a grand on my car and now more problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Oct 2011, 08:45 am
Young Cruiser

Default I just spent a grand on my car and now more problems

So i just spent a grand on my 01 to have a new water pump thermostat and tires put on the car. I pick it up today and i start the car and my gas gauge goes about a 1/4 of the way up then falls to off position after 3 seconds or so. So i turn the car off and on again same thing. I tell the mechanic he rants how it has to be a stuck float and to go put gas in the car. So i fill it ALL the way up. Same thing so i drive it back over and tell him that its still doing it. He plugs something into where my fuses are a readout of some kind pops up and says fuel sensor open. He swears up and down they didnt screw this up. But like i stated a dozen times to him it worked when it came in. Anyone know how something like this can happen?
Old 01 Oct 2011, 09:30 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: I just spent a grand on my car and now more problems

Something quick and easy to try is unhook your battery and press the brake pedal (to drain the power through tail lights) and re-hook the battery back up. This will reset the computer
Old 01 Oct 2011, 10:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Agree with Xwing, reset the computer.

I did some searching for a problem like yours and found this. It's from www.ptdpityourself.net

===============================

It could be the fuel gauge (cluster), fuel level sensor or short in the circuit. Try running the instrument cluster self diagnostic test by pressing the trip reset button down and then turn the ignition to the ON position simultaneously, then release the button. The gauges will increment to selected stops and all indicators will light. If the fuel gauge needle does not move from E to F during the test there's a problem with the gauge and or sensor.

There was a TSB issued for the 2001 model year PT for an issue like this where the fuel gauge did not register full when the tank was filled. The repair involved replacing the fuel level sensor or indexing the fuel pump module to the fuel tank.

The fuel gauge level sending unit (variable resistor sensor) is attached to side of fuel pump module. Under normal conditions the resistance changes with the amount of fuel the tank. The float arm attached to the sensor moves as the fuel level changes.

The dealer can run a more complete diagnostic with their scan tool to check for a fuel level sensor/circuit open/shorted condition and or faulty gauge. In the case of a faulty gauge the entire cluster must be replaced. If the fuel level sensor is faulty the gas tank must be dropped to access the sensor on the fuel pump module. In either case, they are not DIY repairs for the average owner.

Most dealers will forgive the diagnostic charge, (usually $50-75), if you allow them to make the repairs. Discuss this with the service manager.

Follow up from owner - I brought it to the garage and they said it was the sender which they had to order ($320.00). Thanks for all your help!
Old 01 Oct 2011, 12:02 pm
Young Cruiser

Ok reset the computer still same thing. Im going to try crewzins recommendation here in a minute.
Old 01 Oct 2011, 12:09 pm
Young Cruiser

Ok crewzin i ran the diagnostic. ALL gauges go to proper FULL distance gas gauge all the way to the top. In green letters it read Fuel Sensor Open. Still same problem but i know now its not the instrument panel. Where is the fuel sensor and how does it get stuck OPEN?
Old 01 Oct 2011, 12:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It might be by the fuel pump module like it was talked about in the answer I gave you. The gas tank has to be dropped to gain access. Read over that answer again from PT Do-It-Yourself.net completely.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 01 Oct 2011 at 12:24 pm.