PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Quick question for help :/

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Oct 2011, 08:04 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to niel
Question Quick question for help :/

Ok guys so yesterday I was going fast in my PT GT 03, 28,000 miles, and at 5K rpm the car was just knocking a little.. so I chat with a buddy and read some articles that the GTs with Iridiums like mine work better gaped at .032 and up til .040, so I go extreme and went from .040 to .032 and what a difference! no more knocking! at all and smooth idle super smooth... But what I found in the process got me concerned,

So I took some pics to show you guys and have your opinions... A buddy here told me that its the anti seize thingy that I use,that when I screw down the plug into place, its pushed up and turns in to this... but for me looks like engine oil.. too small maybe some drops.. but I got concerned so that's why I'm posting a bunch of pics to see if any one knows if its the anti seize substance or its a bad head gasket I don't know....

Sorry for the load of pics but hope to be useful for future forum users, oh and by the way I use an Electrolyte gel on the inside of the Taylor cables... Don't know if that combined with the other and the heat makes this kind of oily thing...

As you can see in the pics, there's no oil in the hot side of the plug or in the screw part of it, its just the upper part... Thank you so much for your time...

Daniel

PS No smoke coming from the exhaust or leaks in the engine bay

Old 01 Oct 2011, 08:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Quick question for help :/

sometimes the deep wells will get some oil in them but id say it no seize
Old 01 Oct 2011, 10:19 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
sometimes the deep wells will get some oil in them but id say it no seize
And its a bad thing? should I need to be worried? or its a common thing? I check for blew gaskets and not a bit of oil from the outside so I thought it my be an oil leak in that area caused by a bad gasket? but in the four plug wells? I really don't know... thanks for your response
Old 01 Oct 2011, 10:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I wish everyone who posted a question included pictures that good!

I would say, clean it up, put it back together, run it a couple k miles, then check to see if you have oil puddling in the plug seat. There are liners for these plugs and if you are experiencing a leak from back pressure, they aren't too terribly difficult to replace. Have you tried an S washer on the plug? Every time I change my plugs, I put on new S washers. They compress when you bolt down the plug, and seal off any dings in the plug seat so you get no leaks.

This is what the washers look like, technically they are called "indexing washers", old farts like me, who used to work on my 327 by hand, call then S washers....

SO NOT USE THE TAPERED TYPE! They will screw up the entry port!

ALSO, DO NOT USE THE COPPER ONES, USE ONLY ALUMINUM! Just got off a Harley site and they call them "Crush Washers". That's what my dad used to call them so that's even older farter...lol...

Last edited by Chromenut; 01 Oct 2011 at 10:29 pm.
Old 01 Oct 2011, 10:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

Red face Re: Quick question for help :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
I wish everyone who posted a question included pictures that good!

I would say, clean it up, put it back together, run it a couple k miles, then check to see if you have oil puddling in the plug seat. There are liners for these plugs and if you are experiencing a leak from back pressure, they aren't too terribly difficult to replace. Have you tried an S washer on the plug? Every time I change my plugs, I put on new S washers. They compress when you bolt down the plug, and seal off any dings in the plug seat so you get no leaks.

This is what the washers look like, technically they are called "indexing washers", old farts like me, who used to work on my 327 by hand, call then S washers....

SO NOT USE THE TAPERED TYPE! They will screw up the entry port!

Hey Thanks so much for the response... and the thing about the pics hehehe... I really don't know what are the liners, where are located and what they are hehe and the rings I really don't have them installed, I'm going tomorrow for a set of those maybe that could be

Thank you so much!
Old 02 Oct 2011, 12:00 am
Dedicated Cruiser

I had oil in my plugs too and were the valve cover "O" rings...replaced the gasket and "O" rings.
Old 02 Oct 2011, 12:31 am
Veteran Cruiser

Kuhdo's on the photography!!!

Looks good, trynot to touch the porcelain, they need to be as oil free as possible.
Old 02 Oct 2011, 01:08 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrmDC2 View Post
I had oil in my plugs too and were the valve cover "O" rings...replaced the gasket and "O" rings.
DEMONIOS! do you think is that the problem? its that bad? or could be the little rings that are missing?
Old 02 Oct 2011, 01:12 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
Kuhdo's on the photography!!!

Looks good, trynot to touch the porcelain, they need to be as oil free as possible.
Thank you! I cleaned the porcelain with a clean cloth, The pictures are taken with my cel phone, its a Samsung Galaxy Ace II using the macro function