Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Turbo Charge?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Oct 2011, 08:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Turbo Charge?

I was wondering if it possible turning a regular Pt Cruiser 2.4L engine to turbocharged or I would have to do a whole entire engine swap?
Old 03 Oct 2011, 09:05 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Turbo Charge?

Short answer yes, Long answer you will need to find a donor turbo PT to get all the parts needed (you can buy new but not cost effective) and then you can can boost a small amount of what a factory turbo PT would.

There the same engines but turbos have stronger parts and better oiling to hold the extra horsepower.

Most i have seen that went turbo on a NA can only go about 4lbs of boost but think everything is fine and crave the horsepower a little to much then up the boost then KA-BOOM!
Old 03 Oct 2011, 09:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well that's good, considering this how much does a turbo kit usually goes for?
Old 03 Oct 2011, 09:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwing777 View Post
Short answer yes, Long answer you will need to find a donor turbo PT to get all the parts needed (you can buy new but not cost effective) and then you can can boost a small amount of what a factory turbo PT would.

There the same engines but turbos have stronger parts and better oiling to hold the extra horsepower.

Most i have seen that went turbo on a NA can only go about 4lbs of boost but think everything is fine and crave the horsepower a little to much then up the boost then KA-BOOM!
The stock NA engine will hold up under 10psi & that coupled with the NAs higher compression ratio will give you a lot more power than a stock GT. Mine with the Hahn Stage 2 turbo kit has had no problems in 135k miles & still running strong. The 4lbs limit is an urban legend that's been proven wrong by many over the years.
Old 03 Oct 2011, 09:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have a 2005 PT and it has 99,000 miles. The turbo started whining. I took it in to see what the problem was. He said the turbo needs replaced. Has any of you had a turbo replaced? If I replace the turbo is this going to cause me other problems later?
I'm trying to figure out if I should get rid of the car or fix it.
Old 03 Oct 2011, 09:40 pm
Senior Cruiser

You can find them removed off srt4 neons (same enigne as a turbo pt) for $300 and up for mani/turbo. You then need an intercooler of a turbo PT (these are hard to find now so prices up) maybe $200 up?, then you would need some type of fuel management system and something to control boost.

Talk to alex (low_pt) he has done this on several cars and can guide you to your best route. He even made a guide: the axe effect
Old 03 Oct 2011, 10:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

If your hell bent on putting a turbo on an na PT, look up STS turbo. They make a universal rear mount kit. It runs around $3000 and it will require tuning of the stock CPU. The boost pressure can bet set as high or low as you want.
Old 04 Oct 2011, 12:35 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by taikuching View Post
The stock NA engine will hold up under 10psi & that coupled with the NAs higher compression ratio will give you a lot more power than a stock GT. Mine with the Hahn Stage 2 turbo kit has had no problems in 135k miles & still running strong. The 4lbs limit is an urban legend that's been proven wrong by many over the years.
Throw mods at the stock GT and the stock GT will have the turbo'd na for lunch. With the turbo'd na you're limited to how far you can go for power. With a GT there isn't really a limit. Depends on how much power is wanted and maybe it'd be better to start with a GT.
Old 04 Oct 2011, 07:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

Well where I was getting if its possible to put a turbo kit on a pt engine rather then selling my 2002 pt cruiser for a gt since it only has 47k on it considering its semi new i want to give more power to the weak engine.
Old 05 Oct 2011, 08:42 am
Regular Cruiser

Cheaper in the long one to sell yours and get a GT.

Watch out for anchor engine mounts!!