Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Squeaking Front end

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Jul 2002, 02:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Squeaking Front end

OK. here's the problem my dealer can't figure out. So I am looking for answers and/or anyone else who is experiencing this.

2002 LE Cruiser.
Lowered using Progress Lowering Springs and sway bars from Moss Motors. Work done by Jackson Racing. Kept the original shocks in to keep the car from riding too harsh. Stock wheels. 5k miles after job, front end is squeaking and protesting while going over bumps, speed bumps, pot holes & pulling into elevated driveways. Dealership has pulled the shocks & lubed everything. Noise hasn't changed. They are convinced the springs are too short for the shocks and that is causing the damage. Moss & Jackson say this isn't so and they haven't had any problems with this set up.

Is anyone else having a similar problem with or without lowering kits?

robertm@toolboxproductions.net

Old 24 Jul 2002, 07:21 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Did they put the isolator spacers in when they installed the springs? Or did they check to see if the springs are properly installed in the holders? Most likely, the springs are not mounted correctly or moved/twisted loose. You can jack up the car and reach in there and turn the springs a bit and that should stop the squeaking.

2002 Almond Pearl Limited Edition 27K
Old 24 Jul 2002, 10:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yup. All that has been checked. The problem is that these springs and sway bars have been perfect for almost eight months. (I tend to ride my motorcycles more so and use the Cruiser as my rain car which is why the low miles). The noise has started onl yin the last two weeks. I'll share your suggestions with the dealership to see if they checked those areas, but Jackson has a great reputation (they are working with Mopar on a lot of the racing team applications) and the dealership would have been very quick to point out any aftermarket problems so they could charge me for all this fishing for the noise. To date, because the dealership can't isolate the noise to the aftermarket parts, they can't charge me. Until they find the actual cause of the problem, they are stuck. Plus, the did note that usually with mismounted springs, they tend to rub and cause abrassions and shiney areas on the mounts. My car does not have anything showing like that.

Old 12 Aug 2002, 12:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Got my PT back and here's the report. A spot weld on the subframe broke. The frame was grinding against itself causing the noise. It took them three weeks to find it, but they did and now it's silent again.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

RmmJr