PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 PT Cruiser not starting..my fault..any ideas on what to look for to fix it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Oct 2011, 05:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 PT Cruiser not starting..my fault..any ideas on what to look for to fix it?

2001 PT Cruiser. I had installed a "SNAPSHOT" device from my insurance company in to the computer reader port..went well for 15 days..until my wife had the seat slid up and when I got in my knee "knocked" the entire device along with computer reader port off...big spark...now the car will not even attempt to start. All lights/horn/turn signals work. When I turn the key..nothing at all..looked at all fuses in dash..see nothing blown. Checked the fuse box under hood behind air filter..everything there seems fine..replaced starter siliniod..still nothing. Did I fry the computer possibly? or is there something else I can check?
Thank you for any suggestions.
Todd
Old 07 Oct 2011, 06:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 PT Cruiser not starting..my fault..any ideas on what to look for to fix it?

Did you re-attached the computer read-out port? Where there any wires pulled out or was everything looking good except that it wasn't attached to the underside of the dash?
Old 07 Oct 2011, 06:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 PT Cruiser not starting..my fault..any ideas on what to look for to fix it?

the black plastic piece is off the read port..but I made sure that none of the wires are touching. I also tried disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes. Still no luck. Thinking maybe I am missing a blown fuse..going to go check again.
Old 07 Oct 2011, 06:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Not knowing you I have to ask, do you know there's two fuse boxes on the car. Interior and engine compartment. The two fuses in the engine compartment that could be connected to your problem are #3 (Ignition Run) and #17 (IOD). Make sure they are both good.
Old 07 Oct 2011, 07:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I did know there was 2 fuse boxes..but didn't really know which to check. Those initials on the fuse box are greek to me. It is too dark now but I will check those 2 in the morning. Thank you, I hope it is that. I will post in the AM.
Thanks,
Todd
Old 07 Oct 2011, 07:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Here's the diagram of the fuse box but it's 180 degrees from the way it is in the engine compartment.

You might check the starter relay also. You can swap it around with the horn relay (all relays are the same).
Old 08 Oct 2011, 11:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

Problem solved!!! car starts!!! thank you so much..it was fuse #17. Saved me towing/repair costs...thank you ...it is so nice when the car started..so happy...thank you for your help.
Todd
Old 08 Oct 2011, 03:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Your welcome Todd.