PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Locating Radiator Fan relays High Speed and Low Speed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Oct 2011, 07:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Locating Radiator Fan relays High Speed and Low Speed

Hello,

I want to preface with a thank you for having such a great forum that has actually helped me quite a bit to date.

I have a 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Base Model 4 Cylinder - That's about all I know about it, but am willing to find any further information that is indicated as needed.

My questions involve the Radiator fan Relays. I have searched high and low on the internet, these forums and even went to the dealership and I still do not have an answer. Most assuredly it is because of me, not everyone else.

I have several questions and they are as follows-
  • Can low freon actually cause the fans to not turn on?
  • Where are the High Speed and Low Speed Fan relays located?

I have diagrams and drawings of relay boxes, or Power Distribution boxes and several other things I have seen it called, but none of those look like my fuse box.

The fuse lay out is not the same nor the size and shape of the fuses are the same.

I purchased the High Speed and the Low Speed relays and there is no where in that fuse box located behind the air filter that they will fit.

Is there another fuse box somewhere? Are the high speed and low speed located in the same area?

My mechanic of choice kept my car for two days saying they could not find the right relays to fit my car, but I am starting to think they just could not find where they go because I walked right into the parts store and got the relays needed. Assuming they are the right ones, everything I read says they are.

I just cannot find a fuse box like the one in all these diagrams and pictures I see. I am providing pictures of my over all engine, my fuse box, and a couple other things that may or may not matter. I also took pictures of the two relays I bought, one is supposed to be the high speed and one the low speed. Are they correct?

I am really at my wit's end, as professionals in the industry (around here) are being stumped by a fan not turning. The fan does work when you put direct power to it.

I would appreciate any tips or input and am willing to provide whatever info I need to. Thank you Sincerely.

Old 07 Oct 2011, 07:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Locating Radiator Fan relays High Speed and Low Speed

The high and low relays for the fan on the 06+ models are on the outer edge of the housing of the fan itself. The 01 to 05 models have the relays inside the PDC (Power Distributin Center) in the engine compartment.

The low speed fan should come on as ling as the A/C is turned on. As everything gets hotter, the High speed fan will kick on. Being low on freon (R143a) will either stop the A/C from coming on altogether (if it's really low) or if it's slightly low the cold air will be diminished.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 07 Oct 2011 at 07:32 pm.
Old 07 Oct 2011, 07:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for your response, I greatly appreciate it.

What I did not say, that may or may not help - "My car runs hot when sitting still because my fans do not come on - The fans do not kick on when you turn the A/C on"

With what you said, that must mean that the two relays in picture C that are hanging out behind and to the side of the fan are the two I am looking for, but maybe not, because those two are identical.

The two I bought are different, but at the same time the dodge dealer told me the High and low have the same part number, which would lead me to believe they should look the same. (Just thinking outloud here)
---

I am not trying to kick a wounded horse, but the following that I am asking is because I am very illiterate in the world of engines, not because you weren't clear.

But my question is, when you say the AC might not come on at all with low freon, does that mean the Fan would turn on? Or does it mean the fan could be working but the A/C would not come on.

The reason I a masking this again in a different way, is because my problem is -- my fans will not come on. I know my freon is low. If having low freon could make my fan not turn on, then first thing in the morning I am obviously going to get my freon charged if there is a chance it will make my fan spin.

Sorry for stumbling through this, I really appreciate you taking the time to answer.

Last edited by CashReject; 07 Oct 2011 at 07:58 pm. Reason: Clarification
Old 07 Oct 2011, 08:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

OK, let me put it this way, if the compressor comes on, the low speed fan should come on.

Second, it's almost certain that your fan motor bushes are burnt out for the low speed part of the fan rather than the relay being bad. The fan motor is a weak link on the PT as hundreds if not thousands of owners have had to replace the fan or followed the instructions on the forum and rebuild the motor themselves.
Old 07 Oct 2011, 08:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you again for your time.

I appreciate it.
Old 09 Oct 2011, 11:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have a 2006 Cruiser basic model as well and I have spent 60+ hours over the last two weeks researching this same issue for my car and feel like beating my head against a brick wall. All of the service and parts manuals show the two relays you received to be correct, but as you and I and a select few other people who got, what I believe to be the left-over Mexican parts casserole, for the 2006 model year is extremely confusing.
Even your configuration is different from mine.
My fuse box is exactly the same and in the same place with no place to put those relays that we were given at the parts store.
“A” in your photo are my low and high speed fan relays. The part numbers were the same so I ordered two. I replaced them yesterday and the fan works great on either speed and the A/C is blowing cold again. Your part number is different though. Mine is Tyco VF4-35F21-Z05 04362079AA, but looks exactly the same as your picture. However, on my car those are located where you have “C”. I do not have anything like “C” anywhere on my car. The ONLY place I could find these parts was on eBay and a Spanish auction site. The dealer does not carry these. They want to replace the entire fan assembly for $600. I am not so certain even that would work out, as the fan assemblies that I researched and found online (except for used) are configured for the relays to be in the fuse box. Argh!!
Looking at your photo of “C”, the part numbers are the same as one of the relays you were sold and I will bet that is where that one goes, but you need two of those. I would exchange the odd one for another “C” and replace both of those first. Now, why you have the other two (A) is beyond my comprehension, but I have given up on trying to understand anything further at this point.
From various under-the-hood pictures from others with the same issues including myself, 2006 was the “experimental” year for electrical configuration.
Old 28 Oct 2011, 04:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I agree, finding information is a mystery.

After 4 times at the mechanic shop they finally traced my problem to burnt wires. Which would explain the white smoke that I told them I saw coming from the fan before it went out.

Now, I have a new problem. My fan wobbles. It acts like they did not put it back on tight. Not that I know how it comes off. But, the way the fan shudders when it slows down tells me it is not spinning on a perfect circle. I am left with one of a few conclusions.

1. I now have a mysteriously bad warped fan due to life hating me.

2. They did not put the fan back together properly. The fact that my front grills was only put back on half right leads me to lean towards this. I found this when I began investigating the thwapping noise coming from my fan.

3. Something else has gone wrong and it is a total coincidence that it was not doing that before the mechanics touched it.

I am now on the prowl for some directions on removing the fan to see if I can tighten up whatever is loose.

Good luck with your cause.
Old 28 Oct 2011, 06:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I made this for mine which covers the earlier PT's but there shouldn't be that much difference in yours.

Removing the fan and housing 01-05 PT
Old 28 Oct 2011, 09:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for providing that link!
Old 15 Oct 2012, 08:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Locating Radiator Fan relays High Speed and Low Speed

Hi everybody, just to say that your posts/replies were really good and help me finally solve my problem. My daughter's car is exactly as detailed by ixlr8you, so I did the same thing (changed the two relays). It solved my problem and my daughter think that I'm a genious...
Thanks for your help!!!