Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Temperature Gauge Not Working!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Oct 2011, 08:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Cool Temperature Gauge Not Working!

Hey fellas! always wanted to join, had to buy a long envied cruiser of my own! I have enjoyed many results from this forum and hope for some help on a current issue. I have a 2003 Cruiser, non-turbo, and the temp gauge in my dash does not work. I feared my cluster was failing so instead I changed my thermostat (hoping it was stuck open) and radiator cap just because I was there. I also replaced the Coolant Temp Sensor and none of these things have changed the condition of the gauge. I used the default mode on my dash (by holding the key to "on" and holding the tripmeter simultaneously) and the gauges jumped up like they were supposed to. I am wondering if there is a grounding issue? a pcm issue? or just a plain old cluster issue? My next addition to the things I have already trouble shot is that the check engine light never appears even when the warning lights are supposed to flash at startup, yet i retrieved a code from the OBD II port for a P0016. I have no idea if these issues are related and I've changed the cam position sensor indicated by the P0016 with no change to the mis in the engine. My last addition is to ask about proper grounding, my only ground issue appears to be the bearing saving grounds from the frame to the strut tower. Should I reattach those grounds before looking elsewhere, or are these grounds unrelated to my cruiser's poor gauge?
Old 08 Oct 2011, 08:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Temperature Gauge Not Working!

PT's are known for shoddy grounds. When I pulled the front struts, I found that the ground wires, which were properly attached, had no metal contact, meaning the paint behind it was not allowing for a good ground. Got out the Dremel and drew a circle and cleaned it out, dressed with no-ox so it will never rust, and reconnected it. After that I started going through the OEM service manual tracing all the grounds shown, and so far I have 4 that had no metal to metal contact. Add to this I need to change out the negative ground cable on the battery and the alternator.

As to your dash issues, man it's hard to tell. There are so many things that can cause that, maybe someone here in an older model than my '06 can comment. The 2006 and up, on the CANBUS, have serious issues with grounding, not sure about the older models.

Also, welcome aboard! My wife's family is from West Washington County, most live in Campbellsburg and Salem, IN. You from that area???

Old 08 Oct 2011, 09:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Will work on grounds! Thanks for the info, i'm beginning to see the issues with the grounds. Maybe someone can leave some info about the gauges. I'm from Paoli Chromenut! Just 20 miles down the road from Salem. If a cruise event ever rides through here let me know!
Old 08 Oct 2011, 09:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Have you battery tested - many people have reported gremlins that were caused by a poor battery.
If battery checks out, go after grounds.
I went to autoZone and got premade battery cables and added another big fat ground to the engine block and another to the computer housing on the firewall from the negative terminal - felt it couldn't hurt.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 10 Oct 2011, 04:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Installed new battery, old one was four years old so this was not just an attempt to fix temp gauge, this was a well decided breakdown prevention attempt. Got the P0016 to go away by replacing both cam and crank sensors (although i just read a thread about mopar instead of aftermarket so i will probably be doing these again soon) and have only the ground wire from the strut to the frame to reconnect before I am out of ideas. However while troubleshooting wires under the hood i noticed a wire splice on my PCM!!!!! One wire from each of the far left pigtails has been spliced into one wire on the farthest left pigtail...no idea wth this is???? Is this a mod or has the wrong someone been messing with my PCM?
Old 14 Oct 2011, 03:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

This issue has been resolved. I also posted on another thread about the execution of this issue. The instrument cluster is bad because of a poor wiring decision made by a previous owner. I monitored the engine temperature through the OBD II diagnostic port and found it to be operating well below the over heat range. So I will survive without the gauge momentarily, but I may install an aftermarket temp gauge inside the dash because the rest of the cluster is operational, (except the check engine light bulb was also blown due to someone wiring things they did not understand...whoever they are, I hope they never touch your or any other vehicle again). Thanks for the help those of you who contributed and welcomed me aboard!