Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rough idle with A/C -my fix

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Oct 2011, 03:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Rough idle with A/C -my fix

I have read countless threads concerning rough idle/engine miss with A/C on. I've tried almost every fix mentioned on this forum that seemed to be worth the effort. Replaced radiator fan, plugs & wires, idle control solenoid, cleaned/inspecteg EGR system & throttle body, tested & inspected many others. Finally I determined the gas quality was the cause. I tried several gas stations/brands but finally added Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner to the fuel. Now it runs very smooth. Moved from another state and that's when it all started. Proves all gas is not created equal. We planned to move back any way. Just thought I should share this for those still frustrated.
Old 09 Oct 2011, 03:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Rough idle with A/C -my fix

To me, your story doesn't sound like a gas quality issue, but rather a clogged/semi-clogged/gummed up fuel injector. Which would be very hard to diagnose over the internet. Glad you found your problem.
Old 09 Oct 2011, 03:44 pm
Cool Cruiser

thanks for the info I have always used lucas in my gas. and my PT seems to only like sunoco or shell, with moble it sounds like it going to puke up a hairball.
Old 09 Oct 2011, 03:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

That may be so, however I've used several fuel system cleaners before but not while needing the A/C. Maybe this one did the trick. Also, the idle issue would change with every brand and octane used. Weird.... who knows I may have an injector problem.
Old 10 Oct 2011, 11:13 am
Dedicated Cruiser

I started using Lucas "Upper Cylinder Lubricant with injector cleaner and fuel conditioner" a few months ago on the advice of two friends - one a retired trucker and the other a retired police officer - both said it would help improve fuel mileage. I use about three ounces for every ten gallons of fuel.

the stuff is three or four dollars for a small bottle, 10.00 for a quart, and 30.00 for a gallon at the local parts store. Needless to say, I buy it by the gallon.

I think it has improved the mileage some, but with so many variables (i.e. filling until pump clicks off, stuffing the tank, etc), it's difficult to say. But in my mind, it has helped; so I'll probably keep using it.