Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Premium Fuel or not

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Oct 2011, 01:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Premium Fuel or not

Being new to the forum, I enjoy reading all the input and discussions. My delima is which PT to buy. I don't have access to an Owner's Manual, but I have narrowed it down to about (3) in my area , all of them being 2005 models. I really like the Dash much better than the 06.
Now to the point, does the TURBO require PREMIUM FUEL ? or does anyone have experience with using REGULAR FUEL in one ?
Hope to hear from you soon, any other info that would be helpful in our decision. 5 speed is not an option.
david
Old 10 Oct 2011, 02:26 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Premium Fuel or not

If is a turbo PT GT you need premium but with a Limited Turbo you need regular.
Old 10 Oct 2011, 02:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

XtrmDC2 is referring to the Turbo Lite. You can tell the difference if you open the gas cap and it it says Use Premium Fuel, it's the full GT.

Sure, you can use regular gas in the GT, but why be cheap? If your buying the GT you want it to run well with the power it was meant to have.
Old 10 Oct 2011, 03:10 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The GT needs premium fuel. If you feel you can't afford premium fuel then go with the turbo lite (180hp turbo) or the non turbo, both of which use regular gas.
Old 10 Oct 2011, 03:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

ANd 1 more thing

You are going to get losys MPG NO MATTER WHICH YOPU GET

between 16-22 is a good norm

so if you are thinking hey its a small 4 cyl and will do good you need to rething it

also on a 05 make sure iof the miles are close to 100,000 that the timing belt has been done the timing belt water pump and tensioners are between $650-$1000 and even if you are good with cars it will suck

on a turbo you cant know if it has had synthetic oil but i think you can change out the oil lines and start running Synthic oil

just a few FYI's
Old 10 Oct 2011, 08:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
ANd 1 more thing

You are going to get losys MPG NO MATTER WHICH YOPU GET

between 16-22 is a good norm

so if you are thinking hey its a small 4 cyl and will do good you need to rething it

also on a 05 make sure iof the miles are close to 100,000 that the timing belt has been done the timing belt water pump and tensioners are between $650-$1000 and even if you are good with cars it will suck

on a turbo you cant know if it has had synthetic oil but i think you can change out the oil lines and start running Synthic oil

just a few FYI's
Thank's everyone for being straight with the info. I have never owned one but had one for a rental about two yrs ago and my wife fell in love with it. She said she had never drove anything that was so easy to park, get in and out of (due to her hip replacement) and so much fun to drive. Just curious about the following statement.

also on a 05 make sure iof the miles are close to 100,000 that the timing belt has been done the timing belt water pump and tensioners are between $650-$1000

I still like the little ride, being 70, I've seen a lot come and go, it's time I had one. Anyone that know's of a good SOUTHERN CRUISER(rust free) and AUTOMATIC @ a FAIR PRICE, drop me a line. Sorry for rambling, I just enjoy this site.
david
Old 10 Oct 2011, 08:57 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg View Post
Thank's everyone for being straight with the info. I have never owned one but had one for a rental about two yrs ago and my wife fell in love with it. She said she had never drove anything that was so easy to park, get in and out of (due to her hip replacement) and so much fun to drive. Just curious about the following statement.

also on a 05 make sure iof the miles are close to 100,000 that the timing belt has been done the timing belt water pump and tensioners are between $650-$1000

I still like the little ride, being 70, I've seen a lot come and go, it's time I had one. Anyone that know's of a good SOUTHERN CRUISER(rust free) and AUTOMATIC @ a FAIR PRICE, drop me a line. Sorry for rambling, I just enjoy this site.
david
He was just saying that the timing belt needs to be changed at 100,000 miles and it is usually somewhere around $1000 so if you find a car with around 100,000 miles then you should ask if it has been changed.