Advertisements
How to replace lower motor mount

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Oct 2011, 09:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question How to replace lower motor mount

Hey Guys,

I'm looking for extra tips on replacing my motor mounts. The upper and lower mount for some reason look to be seperating metal from rubber within the mount, which sucks since i just had the motor mount supposedly replaced at my local Midas shop by my house, seemed to be fine for about a month and a half or so the suddenly started shaking more and more, then jerking at some points. Lifted the hood, held the break and changed it from park to drive to reverse and watched the engine shift back and forth. Put it on the ramps and saw that the rubber had seperated. The parts are roughly $40 per mount at NAPA, advanced auto parts, etc, but i will be taking it back to the shop to see what the hell happened.

My main question is if it is not covered, how can i get this done myself. The upper mount is described in this video pretty well, even though my pt is a 2002 limited edition pt cruiser non-turbo automatic. So the air conditioning lines are a tighter squeeze, but supposedly can be done the same way as long as you secure them to one side gently with straps.

I am at a loss with how to properly remove the lower engine mount, i looked under the vehicle and i can see it clearly. Some posts recommend jacking up the car and putting it on jack stands, gently lifting the engine with a jack and block of wood under the oil pan, plus to remove the passenger front tire and wheel well covering. Can someone tell me if any bolts are under extreme tension or anything i should watch out for, i've never removed motor mounts so i'm fairly cautious about having my engine drop or a mount whipping at my face when i finally remove a bolt.

Any advice is appreciated, and if anyone knows of a video showing me how to remove the lower mount, that would be great.

Thanks,

Anthony
Old 10 Oct 2011, 10:25 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: How to replace lower motor mount

The motor mounts are not really motor mounts at all but torque struts. The real motor mount is under the engine and cant really be seen.

If you remove the fender liner then you will see the lower strut really good like when i did the lower control arm on the wifes car:

You simply remove the pencil strut (the vertical brace part) and the two bolts and the strut comes right out. There is no tension on either the upper or lower struts and are there to keep the engine from twisting like your describing.

For some that are slightly stronger, you can get the ones made for an srt4 neon. They give about the same amount but have more rubber in them.

The next step up is poly inserts (what im using) these really firm them up and make the factory type struts last.

They even make a solid strut that will never wear out but not recomended if your is an auto as the viberation from engine will travel through the car instead of being asorbed in the rubber mounts (like factory one).

As for lining the engine back up, most (including me) don't bother with no ill effects. The manual does state how to do it though and gives a measurement. I dont have the manual handy at moment but someone here should have it linked if you want though.
Old 11 Oct 2011, 01:56 am
Senior Cruiser

I made that video that you linked there, and yeah it's a tighter fit for a non-turbo but it can be done (I did it on my friend's '05 N/A).

As for the lower strut mount, xwing covered it well. Two bolts is all that holds it in place, and you only need to remove like 3 total (not to mention those that hold the inner fender).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Kawi is a friggin genius!
Old 11 Oct 2011, 01:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm really interested on these Neon SRTR insterts, where would i get them and do i have to specify a year of vehicle to get the ones that will match the pt cruiser.

Also, another member mentioned taking off the front headlight to get to the upper mount easier, would you recommend this in order to avoid damaging the cooling lines? seems like a pain, but being without air conditioning in Texas would suck even more. Saw a video of sometime removing the headlight and honestly i didn't really see an easy access revealed to the upper mount, only to the wheel well area.

Anthony
Old 11 Oct 2011, 01:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Saw this great video right after i posted my question about the inserts, is this a good example of what i will need to do if i get them? whats the price for a set (upper and lower)?

How-To: Install Motor Mount Inserts - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum
Old 11 Oct 2011, 02:43 pm
Senior Cruiser

If you compare pics, even though it's a different car it's the same exact process.

Of course as you know, the SRT4 is also turbo'd so the upper mount is just as easy to remove as it is on a turbo PT.

The lower mount is the exact same on turbo and non-turbo.

I wouldn't go through the headlight yet others have before and said it was really easy (the removal of the mount that is).

And yes as for installing the inserts, it's really that easy. You might want to use some water/dish soap though when trying to stuff the inserts into the strut mounts..it can be a bit of a pain.

Quote:
Old 12 Oct 2011, 12:15 am
Fresh Cruiser

Would these be the inserts to use?

Energy Suspension 5.1109 Motor Mount Inserts Dodge SRT4 03-05

The four peice inserts say they come with zip ties, but the picture shows bolts & nuts you can you i guess. Then there are the red ones that are shown in the video, which can be held on by the washer? Any thoughts.

Some comments i've read say that this however increases the amount of vibration you feel in the car, but increase the effectiveness of the mount. Is this kind of a give and take kinda thing. My main goal is to protect my engine and the components and hopefully never have to worry about the mounts again.

let me know what you guys think, thanks for the comments so far, you guys are awesome.

Anthony
Old 12 Oct 2011, 12:29 am
Senior Cruiser

Regarding vibration, if you have an automatic you'll definitely feel some vibration during idle. On a 5-speed however, it won't bother you.

Motor mount inserts minimize weight movement which leads to a firmer launch when leaving from a stop. With minimal weight shift, it only makes sense as to why you'll launch better as opposed to having an engine that'll slightly rock back and forth. The slight rocking is absorbed by the mounts hence the rubber used in the mounts (which are in turn flexible).

Not sure if I even phrased that correctly, I'm tired lol

Anyway, I picked up my set from Modernperformance (look it up for the SRT-4).

As far as color goes, this will correlate with how stiff/soft they are. Because I had an automatic, I chose the softer set which didn't give me as much rattling through the steering wheel as hard inserts would.

Another benefit to adding inserts is, as stated above, it limits the rubber from flexing within the mount. This in turn will prevent it from ripping/breaking and depending on your driving styles, you could rip/tear through stock mounts easily if you're taking turns like a mad man.

The cheapest (and probably something I'd recommend) is using polyurethane filler by 3M. You can fill the portion that an insert would normally go into to create an unbreakable mount. Not only will it work as a great substitute for the insert, if you're afraid of having a 'shakey' ride (rattling steering wheel/etc), you can use a little bit of filler each time until you've achieved the desired amount of firmness.
mario21 likes this.

Quote:
Old 12 Oct 2011, 08:29 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwing777 View Post
OMG, that engine's a beauty!!! Up here, it'd look like it was from 1903!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawizx9r View Post
The cheapest (and probably something I'd recommend) is using polyurethane filler by 3M. You can fill the portion that an insert would normally go into to create an unbreakable mount. Not only will it work as a great substitute for the insert, if you're afraid of having a 'shakey' ride (rattling steering wheel/etc), you can use a little bit of filler each time until you've achieved the desired amount of firmness.
I'd strongly recommend 3M windshield urethane!!!
a 'forever' fix
Neon mount, but you get the idea:
Old 12 Oct 2011, 12:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I found this to be a cool link for the inserts too, i'm guessing i would need the black "street" inserts, for less vibration.

http://www.modernperformance.com/pro...on-p-1131.html

Is there a specific place to buy the polyurethane filler by 3M, sounds like a spray in foam that hardens, sound right?

Also, I just got back from Midas and they confirmed that it is my upper and lower mount that is busted. Apparently they tried to say that they replaced the lower mount, and afterwards it looked to them like the upper mount gave out which quickly damaged the lower mount.

Checked the invoice on the part # that was used and it says that they replaced the mid-mount, which is kind of what i remember since this was back in May 2011 when i had it done. I remember they told me that the engine was hanging lower than normal on the frame which would confirm a failed mount. Just didn't confirm then which mount it was, any thoughts?

Anthony

Tags
motor mounts, mount, pt cruiser 2002