PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Camshaft Position Sensor - 0344

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Oct 2011, 10:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Camshaft Position Sensor - 0344

Hello,

2 weeks ago I was having intermittent problems with my PT cruiser causing it to buck and lose power. I took it into my local neighborhood shop and they diagnosed it with a bad camshaft position sensor and it was replaced.

However, yesterday I experienced the same problem with another brief episode. The check engine light went on again and the error code reading is again at 0344 - the camshaft position circuit intermittent fault. The same problem as before even though I just replaced the sensor.

After driving it some more today, the check engine light has gone off. How can I get the same error or fault after having replaced the sensor? Is there something else in my electrical system that is faulting?

For what it is worth, I replaced the battery this summer and during my last oil change, the technician said my battery was low on CC amps. Seemed strang. Like many others, I also have the rough idle problem with the A/C system. It is a 2004 with 120K miles on it - non turbo.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Sully
Old 11 Oct 2011, 06:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Camshaft Position Sensor - 0344

Sully.

Hopefully you ave changed the timing belt and water pump at that kind of mileage. If not, your driving on borrowed time and the belt could break at any time.

If the Camshaft sensor wasn't replaced with a genuine MOPAR part, that cold be your problem. The PT doesn't like after market, store bought, parts. They make look the same but are made from inferior parts and either don't work at all or don't last very long.

You could also have a break somewhere in the wiring harness to/from the sensor. The harness should be checked for any breaks or rubbing against something that could cause wear on the harness.

The rough idle could be caused by the radiator fan not coming on. The fan motors are weak and tend to burn out. The fan should come on any time the compressor turns on. Check that out.