PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
"Thunk" noise when turning on the A/C

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Oct 2011, 10:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default "Thunk" noise when turning on the A/C

I recently got an A/C electrical switch replaced. But now, there is a decent sounding "thunk" noise when I turn the car on with the A/C. The sound appears to be coming from the front right of the car, where the A/C stuff is (if I am correct).

Now, I have read that this could be a A/C clutch problem. Would this be a correct diagnosis?

This car has given me nothing but trouble.

Last edited by VroomMaster; 11 Oct 2011 at 04:02 pm.
Old 11 Oct 2011, 06:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: "Thunk" noise when turning on the A/C

Sorry about your trouble. You need to try starting it again without the A/C on. Then you can try it with the A/C. Then you can pinpoint the noise if it's part of the A/C system.

Personally, you should always have the A/C off when starting the car. Your putting more strain on the starting system. Start the car, wait a few seconds, than turn the A/C on.
thecabinguy likes this.
Old 11 Oct 2011, 04:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Sorry about your trouble. You need to try starting it again without the A/C on. Then you can try it with the A/C. Then you can pinpoint the noise if it's part of the A/C system.

Personally, you should always have the A/C off when starting the car. Your putting more strain on the starting system. Start the car, wait a few seconds, than turn the A/C on.
Yes, I just tested it again today, and the "thunk" noise only comes out when I turn on the A/C after I turn on my car. Noise is coming from the front right.

It may the the a/c electrical switch (which was replaced), or the a/c clutch from what I'm thinking. Anyone have any suggestions? Is it expensive to replace an a/c clutch?
Old 11 Oct 2011, 04:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Back to the beginning; what makes you think you have to fix or repair anything? Is the compressor not working? All compressors that I know of make some "click" or "thunk" when they turn on. My Corvette has the loud "thunk" and it's been doing that for years. My PT has a loud "click" when the compressor kicks on.
Old 11 Oct 2011, 08:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Because I was just wondering...

Everything works fine, just that "thunk" noise when I turn on the A/C. It never happened before and it just started recently after I got the A/C electrical switch fixed.

Nothing has to be wrong with the car for me to ask a question. Just sayin.
Old 07 Nov 2011, 03:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

VrommMaster: I had the same issue in my 06 PT. I was having issues with my AC as well and noticed the noise and couldn't figure out what was causing it. My AC wasn't blowing real cold so I recharged it with the R134A and it stopped making the noise.
Old 07 Nov 2011, 04:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah your compressor might be working harder because it's improperly charged. Double check your refrigerant levels. It also could be that your compressor is nearing the end of the life and that the piston inside is slapping a bit when it (compressor) starts up.

The compressor kicking on will make some noise and a bad compressor clutch would result in no cooling...or in my case a melted compressor clutch from a loose clutch bolt.

What else have you had gone wrong with your PT?
Old 24 Nov 2011, 10:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

MIne thunks too when i turn heater??????? 07 cruiser
Old 26 Oct 2016, 11:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have a 2007 PT Cruiser and I'm tired of people saying that all compressors make some "click" or "thunk" when they turn on (CRUZIN). I bought my car brand new and it has "never" made any noise or given me any problems... EVER, I love it! But now that it's getting up there in age, I do expect to replace some parts here and there. Yes... we have started the car with and without the A/C on "everyone" and the noise only happens soon after turning it on. Everyone says they have the same problem but no one has an answer. I hope you found someone to help you (VroomMaster) because I haven't. If so, can you please pass the info on to me .... Thanks
Old 26 Oct 2016, 12:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Suzan, Welcome to the forum.

You've just responded to a thread that is over 5 years old. If you look at the upper left hand corner of the posts, you'll see the date that shows when the post was submitted to the forum. Vroomaster hasn't been back to the forum since October of 2011. You'd be much better starting your own thread with your problem. Also, please log into the "Welcome" thread and introduce yourself to the rest of the community.

Lastly, 5 years later and my A/C still makes the loud click when turned on running cold as ever.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 26 Oct 2016 at 06:50 pm.