Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Heater core

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Oct 2011, 04:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Heater core

Took my 03' PT to the dealer, not getting any heat inside the vehicle. Both heater hoses are hot and I had the cooling system flushed. I checked the mixer door and it seems to be operating normally. Everything works except we get no heat from the heater. Dealer is looking to replace the heater core for $1100, I know it's a big job but that seems quite expensive for a $75 part. I know it's in the dash and requires a lot of time but if anybody has any other ideas I'm all ears... Also, no leaks and has plenty of coolant...

Thank you
Old 11 Oct 2011, 05:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Heater core

Just a question, is the temperature gauge at the half way mark when you've been driving for 10 minutes or so?
Old 12 Oct 2011, 12:19 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMas777 View Post
not getting any heat inside the vehicle. Both heater hoses are hot
I'd still suspect a door door.
Here's the only way I see the heater core being bad in your situation:

Septum gasket rotted from oil in coolant
Old 12 Oct 2011, 09:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yes, temp gauge goes up to half way then drops (Themostat) so I believe the TS is working as it should. By the way, this cruiser has only 35K miles on it, it's my wife's car and she only drives 3 miles to work... It's been a good car up to this point but for something this major with the few miles I have to wonder about Chrysler's quality......
Old 12 Oct 2011, 09:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

this is about the first time i have read about a heater core and there is NO way id pay that much money it can not be that hard it may eat up time but the stero guys take the insides apart all the time

the temp guage should stay at the 50% range do you know what color your colent is????

one last thing IF the hoses are both hot is day you have flow and its not 100% clogged but dude 3 miles is no ware close to long enought to get a PT warm
Old 12 Oct 2011, 10:35 am
Veteran Cruiser

Heater cores totally suck to Change in P* body Chrysler's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Propane cabin heater (only semi joking)?
Old 12 Oct 2011, 11:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

i did that in a old VW i had left it run whil i was at work man it was nice and cozzy when i came out
Old 13 Oct 2011, 11:39 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Yes, temp gauge goes up to half way then drops (Themostat) so I believe the TS is working as it should. By the way, this cruiser has only 35K miles on it, it's my wife's car and she only drives 3 miles to work... It's been a good car up to this point but for something this major with the few miles I have to wonder about Chrysler's quality......
It should pretty much stay around the half way mark, when you say drops does it drop and stay down? Or do you mean the fan goes on and keeps it at the half way mark. The reason I ask because if it goes down to far you won't get heat. and may just have to change the thermostat. The heater core isn't a usual problem so just wondering.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 13 Oct 2011, 04:31 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
That could be a contributing factor if the car doesn't get out on the highway once in a while to run at highway speeds. You can't 100% of the time baby the car. Need to get out and open it up once in a while.