PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT Over Heating

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Oct 2011, 10:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Rekoj
Default PT Over Heating

Not sure if I posted this But I had an issue where PT kept Overheating , Was driving me Crazy. It was fine when driving but when i was stopped the gauge would slowly move up to red and then boiling sounds would take place and then smoke form the coolant over flowing and hitting the engine. I replaced my Thermostat hoping that would solve it .. Nope. then I found out it was my dang fan , So i replaced my relay switches and fuses. Still the fan would not come on. So finally I stripped the wires of the fan and clamped them to my battery and Low and behold my Fan came on in high mode .. I have no idea why the relays are not working maybe there is a cut in the wire to the relay .. Not sure

So what i did was buy a Simple On off switch and Secured it to my Dash and hard wired the fan wires to my battery/and the switch and Boom anytime my car seems to go hot I turn the switch and my fan cools off my car.. Only Down side so far is twice i forgot to turn off the switch .. so my battery Drained. But a good temp fix for my fan not coming on I love and HATE this PT ..
Old 14 Oct 2011, 10:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT Over Heating

you know a lot of folks change the relays and it does not help I just went to ebay got a $90 fan with the relays and WHAMM it worked the switch is ok but its sure easy to forget and if the PT getts to hot you WILL blow a Head Gasket and maybe warp a head
Old 14 Oct 2011, 11:23 am
Senior Cruiser

Your fan has a lower speed, too. Sounds like it's not coming on. The brushes are probably shot. Get a new fan.

Tim
Old 15 Oct 2011, 10:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Fan on my 2002 isn't coming on. How do you get to the wires to test it?
Old 15 Oct 2011, 11:48 am
Senior Cruiser

The fans suck on the PT, if it's not coming on in a proper way just change it. We have directions on the forum. Ebay sells the fan cheap and if you can't do it yourself a mechanic shouldn't charge more than two hours labor and that's a slow mechanic. Mine was changed at 39k

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 15 Oct 2011, 12:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
The fans suck on the PT, if it's not coming on in a proper way just change it. We have directions on the forum. Ebay sells the fan cheap and if you can't do it yourself a mechanic shouldn't charge more than two hours labor and that's a slow mechanic. Mine was changed at 39k
Tks Dino!

I'll take your advice and just change it.
Old 15 Oct 2011, 12:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
Dino, I searched the forum for 'fan replacement" and "tutorial" but don't see to come up with any directions post. What should I search under?
Old 15 Oct 2011, 12:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Go to the Tech & Performance part of the forum and look for the thread/sticky that says "HOW TO" and there's a couple dozen tutorials.
Old 27 Oct 2011, 01:08 am
Regular Cruiser

I experienced the same issue this time around. The first time, the fan wasn't turning on when the A/C on.....

I just installed the second replacement motor @ 110k, with the same TYC 630330. The factory original was replaced at around 70k. Now this one only lasted 40k.....wow....not good.....

If this one fails again @ 40k, going to the next brand.

2005 Touring Black - Automagic....California Smog Legal

H&R Cup Kit | TSW Sakata 18x8 35ET | Nankang NS-II 235/40/18 | SPC front alignment cam - rear shim | Master Pro Rotors | Master Pro Ceramic F/R pads | Rebuilt Cylinder Head - Safety Valves and Guides | Felpro Head Gasket and upper rebuild kit | Fail-safe 195 degree thermostat | Mopar Waterpump...lol | 3rd radiator fan motor | Gates timing belt kit | WIX filters (oil, transmission) | Mobile 1 5w30 | Mopar ATF4 | Redline Water Wetter | K&N Drop-In | 4th Drive side Axle | Energy Suspension Torque Mounts | 3rd set of Torque Mounts...
Old 27 Oct 2011, 06:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelgarage View Post
I experienced the same issue this time around. The first time, the fan wasn't turning on when the A/C on.....

I just installed the second replacement motor @ 110k, with the same TYC 630330. The factory original was replaced at around 70k. Now this one only lasted 40k.....wow....not good.....

If this one fails again @ 40k, going to the next brand.
Wheelgarage or anyone reading this thread:

May I ask: When you replaced the fan, did it then come on with the A/C with the new replacement fan?

The reason for asking is that I received a PM from someone that said my instructions were wrong and that in his manual, the low speed fan isn't supposed to come on until 180 degrees and that his doesn't come on with the A/C. I double checked mine and the fan comes on with the A/C or the defrost mode ...anytime the compressor is engaged. He had an 04 Turbo and I'm wondering if Chrysler changed something in later years or with the Turbo models?

I do agree that without the A/C the fan would come on LOW at 180 degrees and switch to a faster speed at a higher degree, whatever Chrysler set it at. Turbo's have a variable setting on the fan, non-turbo have the two speeds.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 27 Oct 2011 at 06:34 am.