Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

CV joints/Axel Assembly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Oct 2011, 11:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Rekoj
Default CV joints/Axel Assembly

OK .. So I think my CV joints are bad My passenger Side Just Sounds Like its Grinding Constantly It sounds really bad. I change my Own brakes and Rotors about every 6 to 7 months .. I'm told I should not have to do this - But I will check my brakes again to make sure this is not grinding because of them - But I'm like 99% sure its my CV joints .. I'm told that Instead of replacing the CV joints I should just do the whole Axel Assembly .. I've also read and have instructions on how to do this .. But Seeing it in Pictures is So much Easier .. Does anyone have step by step Instructions With pics .. Or am i on my own with just Worded instructions .. I nervous to do this But I like doing my own work on my own car .. I have a guy that says he will do it for 60$ an Hour and it will take him an Hour each side .. + parts which is like 60$ per Axel Assembly.

Anyone got any advice or help ?
Old 17 Oct 2011, 01:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Rekoj
Default Re: CV joints/Axel Assembly

Ok , So Figured out the grinding and screeching was in fact my wheel bearing. Then found out after buying a one that the old one has to be machine pressed out of the old hub and knuckle .. and then the new one has to be pressed back into the hub and then pressed the hub into the knuckle ..GREAT then i found someone to press it out but he said my hub was bad and needed to be replaced good news is a PT was found at my local pick and pull and i found a passenger side knuckle and hub with a good wheel bearing ..SO did not need a press .. Bad news is the youtube video did not show that when you pull off the knuckle from the strut that the strut drops 6 inchs It took me hours to get a 2x4 jacked up to prop the strut up high enough to get the knuckle back into place so i could bolt it .. SO not fun -

Took it in for an alignment .. but they are telling me my Tie rod is loose and there is no point in doing an Alignment .. .. time to find out how to replace that now .. Ahh man this pt will be the death of me