Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
03 Cruiser Trans problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Oct 2011, 11:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 03 Cruiser Trans problem

So the other day I bought my gf a loaded 03 limited cruiser non turbo with an auto tranny. It's has just over 100k miles. The car drove perfect around town until I got on the highway, then it was shifting funny and wouldn't go into high gear. Then the engine light came and threw the apparently common p0700 which then lead to a p0734 which was something with 4th gear. I put some Lucas stop slip in to see if that would help but it did not. It got worse from there, after I started it up again it would not go into reverse, drive or the low gears... Nothing. I looked underneath the car and someone has resealed the pan recently ( the old owner said his son had replaced the fluid and filter). So does this sound like the trans completely went out, possibly wrong fluid or could the solenoid pack be causing the problems? Any input would be great, thanks.
Old 14 Oct 2011, 12:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 03 Cruiser Trans problem

i hate to say this but id say it is dead verry well could be the wrong fluid and as much a HUGE LUCAS fan that I am there Tranny stuff usally dosent work in out PT

you might deop the pan and make sure the filter is still attached and is still sucking fluid this will be a mess and it will need 5 quarts of a good ATF +4 so other than that id say its tranny time

and at 100,000 have you done the timing belt cause if not it will be next to go
Old 14 Oct 2011, 12:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm thinking it's shot too but I just wanna rule out any other possibilities first. Is there any quick way to check the timing belt to see if it has been replaced? Ugh the more I look around the more these cars seem to be maintenance whores.

Last edited by Matt02GT; 14 Oct 2011 at 01:00 pm.
Old 14 Oct 2011, 07:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So does anyone else have any input on this? Just seems odd that all of a sudden it wont go into any gear what so ever. Could the input/output sensors or solenoid cause such a problem?
Old 14 Oct 2011, 08:36 pm
Senior Cruiser

It wouldnt hurt to disconnect the battery and press the brake pedal to kill all current in systems. This will reset the PCM which controls the transmission. This is free to do and since our computer go wacky some times this cures some issues.

If it works then, i would drain the trans fluid and put the correct mopar fluid back in to be sure.

If it doesnt, probably time for a new trans as it sounds like it went into limp mode. If you can find a garage that has a starscan tool, they can pull more indepth codes to track down exactly whats going on. The codes you see are generic the same as a obd2 scanner will see.