Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
HELP ASAP! TIMING BELT ISSUE...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Oct 2011, 02:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question HELP ASAP! TIMING BELT ISSUE...

MY CAR IS 2001 PT CRUISER WITH 2.0 ENGINE.. (similar STRATUS&NEON and 2.4 PT too) Car is leaking coolant and serviceman said it is because of Waterpump.. And it need to replace waterpump and Timing belt.. But He said he need to take off whole engine!! Is it only way to change the Waterpump of PT??? or he is just not a good car mechanic or want to take more money?

help plz!

Last edited by firebirdcabrio; 14 Oct 2011 at 02:44 pm.
Old 14 Oct 2011, 02:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: HELP ASAP! TIMING BELT ISSUE...

HEre is my take on thi9s

first I dont think he is going to take the engin out of the car I ahve said that may be the easiest way buit its not recomended
the timing belt and water pump are a PAIN you also need to change the tensioners and the serpentine belt its all in the same area
the timing belt is expensive between $800-$1000 depending on where you go

here is the #! biggest thing to do
GET A WARENTY this is a hard jobn and it is so easy to miss it by 1 tooth and your car will NOT run right untill they do it all over again 1 tooth matters and tyhe PT is a HUGE PAIN

it may seem like he is taking the complete engin out but really its just the passenger side

when you refill the radiator you need to use a HOAT antifreeze Zerok G-05 is a good one anything else is WRONG
Old 14 Oct 2011, 03:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
HEre is my take on thi9s

first I dont think he is going to take the engin out of the car I ahve said that may be the easiest way buit its not recomended
the timing belt and water pump are a PAIN you also need to change the tensioners and the serpentine belt its all in the same area
the timing belt is expensive between $800-$1000 depending on where you go

here is the #! biggest thing to do
GET A WARENTY this is a hard jobn and it is so easy to miss it by 1 tooth and your car will NOT run right untill they do it all over again 1 tooth matters and tyhe PT is a HUGE PAIN

it may seem like he is taking the complete engin out but really its just the passenger side

when you refill the radiator you need to use a HOAT antifreeze Zerok G-05 is a good one anything else is WRONG
thank you for your response!

Car Mechanic said that he must take the engine out of the car to change the Waterpump and Timing belt.. thats why I am confused.. it will be really expensive for me for a Timing belt labor!

And I see some conversion kits which is converting a hydraulic tensioner back to a mechanical style how that kit works and will that be possible and easy to change?
??
Old 14 Oct 2011, 03:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The water pump does have a weep hole that will drip coolant when the interior of the pump starts to go bad. If your mechanic is positive that the pump is bad, then what cruserdad said is true. It's a very long and complicated job taking anywhere between 5 to 7 hours, if everything goes right.

Make sure that it's the water pump. Not sure how to do that but a huge waste of time and money if he's wrong. The engine doesn't have to come out of the car. It would make it easier but I would think you would run into more problems than it's worth. Out PT's (2.4) only use the mechanic tensioners so I've never seen a kit like your talking about,

Note to cruserdad: you gotta start proof reading what you type. The person who posted this message is from overseas with a 2.0 ltr engine. His posting was easier to read than yours.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 14 Oct 2011 at 03:24 pm.
Old 14 Oct 2011, 03:35 pm
Veteran Cruiser

The hydraulic tensioner was discontinued 1999 in US as all high RPM
engines disappeared with the 2.0 DOHC. There is a retrofit kit to put
hydraulic on 2.4's it was so favored!!!

Hydraulic tensioner is generally a lifetime item, if you ever were to need one, I'd be glad to ship you one. It's capable of controlling belt tension to
extreme RPM's 2.0 DOHC's are capable of.

Therefore, I'd NOT suggest retrofitting to the mechanical.

I've worked lots and lots on the 2.0 DOHC, and some on the 2.4 PT.
However, I've never worked on a PT w/ a 2.0 DOHC, so can't tell you how belt in this chassis is done.
-I have known guys that insist on dropping powertrain on the 2.4 US PT
to change belt.

Compared to the 2.4, I the 2.0 DOHC!!
Old 14 Oct 2011, 04:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
The water pump does have a weep hole that will drip coolant when the interior of the pump starts to go bad. If your mechanic is positive that the pump is bad, then what cruserdad said is true. It's a very long and complicated job taking anywhere between 5 to 7 hours, if everything goes right.

Make sure that it's the water pump. Not sure how to do that but a huge waste of time and money if he's wrong. The engine doesn't have to come out of the car. It would make it easier but I would think you would run into more problems than it's worth. Out PT's (2.4) only use the mechanic tensioners so I've never seen a kit like your talking about,

Note to cruserdad: you gotta start proof reading what you type. The person who posted this message is from overseas with a 2.0 ltr engine. His posting was easier to read than yours.
HI THERE! thank you for ur response sir!
I remembered u helped me before yes it was a bit confusing answer
I had asked 3 different repair man and they said it is waterpump.. (it leaks some time sometime not, I added water only about 1 week after that it stops leaking but after added antifreeze today it starts leaking again passenger side of engine)

5 or 7 hours is OK for me!!! he said two or two&half days maybe needed!! he tried to take off by removing engine mount passenger side, intake manifold, upper radiator hose, after of these he said I have to take out your cars engine!! and it will be takes 2 days as I said... I think car mechanic is just a fool or just want to take more money from me

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
If you look that auction seller writes that it converts hydroulic to mechanic am I WRONG?
Old 14 Oct 2011, 04:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I don't know anything about the tensioner kit as I said but as UptownSport said, it's a good one and goes for a life of the car.

He also noted that some mechanics do want to take the engine out and I can see why it would take two days to take it out, fix the timing belt and put it all back together. Lots of work.

Is he the only mechanic in town? Have you asked anyone else. No mater who you get to do it, try and make sure they know what they are doing as the belt can be easily mis-times and the whole job done over again.
Old 14 Oct 2011, 04:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post

gotta ya did I ever mention was never my good subject???I have tryed to keep it a seceret
Old 15 Oct 2011, 12:22 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebirdcabrio View Post
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
If you look that auction seller writes that it converts hydroulic to mechanic am I WRONG?
Do you have a 2.4??? That's what the auction's for.
Thought it was a 2.0 DOHC?

You will need to modify rear timing cover if you convert to mechanical.
Old 15 Oct 2011, 12:24 pm
Veteran Cruiser

And, unlike the 2.4 all 2.0's are interference engines, meaning if that pump
seizes, you're going to need to get at least some new valves (which requires
partial engine dis-assembly)