Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Oil light

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Oct 2011, 05:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Oil light

Ok new to the forum, thought I could seek a bit of info or if anyone has ran into this issue before. As I was coming to a stop today, slowing down the oil light came on. And as soon as I took of it went off. I stopped to check oil and make sure the sump was full-check! Next stop light same story. I power braked alittle to bring my revs up. And the light went out. Possible bad sensor? Anyone
Old 15 Oct 2011, 05:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Oil light

Let it cool down and check the oil while cold. You can't check and get a good reading while the engine's running. If she's below the fill line, that's your problem. Can also be a viscosity issue - if your oil is sludgy and old, get it changed, it can cause all kinds of issues. Also I suggest you run syth oil, none of that dyno stuff.
Old 15 Oct 2011, 05:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Let it cool down for a bit. No more light. Right now I'm running castrol high mileage and have been For about 20k mi now and this is the first issue.oil was changed about 900 miles ago I'm running 5w30 in it should I be running thicker?
Old 15 Oct 2011, 09:03 pm
Senior Cruiser

Pt, the oil sending units on Cruisers are not the best in the industry. You might try changing that first--or having the dealer do so. The cost is about $85.00 total for them to do it. I had the dealer do it when my light came on intermittantly because it's not easy doing it without a lift and very long extensions.

If that fails, you might have the screen plugged up in your oil pick-up tube. You'll have to pull the pan to get to it. But if you change your oil often, it's probably not that.

If you have a whole lot of miles on your Cruiser, you just might have worn things down a bit--and it shows the oil pressure loss at very low rpms--as in idling at a stop light.

But I'd try the sending unit ....

Tim
Old 16 Oct 2011, 02:14 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfrodolives View Post
Pt, the oil sending units on Cruisers are not the best in the industry. You might try changing that first--or having the dealer do so. The cost is about $85.00 total for them to do it. I had the dealer do it when my light came on intermittantly because it's not easy doing it without a lift and very long extensions.

If that fails, you might have the screen plugged up in your oil pick-up tube. You'll have to pull the pan to get to it. But if you change your oil often, it's probably not that.

If you have a whole lot of miles on your Cruiser, you just might have worn things down a bit--and it shows the oil pressure loss at very low rpms--as in idling at a stop light.

But I'd try the sending unit ....

Tim
I had the sending unit changed at an independent shop for $35. Dealers rip you.