Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Finally Got rid of that annoying hesitation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Oct 2011, 09:09 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Finally Got rid of that annoying hesitation

I have had issues with an annoying "hesitation" when easing out from a complete stop. If I just tromp on the gas, I don't have it, but if I tried to start out slowly and smoothly it would bog down, then take off.

This afternoon I got some carb cleaner and sprayed down the inside of the throttle body real good, then I sprayed some white lithium grease on the cam that the throttle cables ride on, the coiled spring behind them which is attached to the shaft that the butterfly is mounted on, and a little into the end of the throttle cable casings. It seems to have made a big difference, and I don't have that annoying "dead spot" when trying to ease away from a complete stop.

I want to take the IAC off tomorrow and clean it with carb spray as well. Does anyone know what size Torx bit I need for the 2 mounting screws, and what's the trick for removing the harness connector from it before taking it off?

Finally, does anyone know if the pintle inside (I'm assuming that it has one, based on previous vehicles) will need to be reset after cleaning/before re-installing it, or if that will reset itself automatically once I re-install it and start the vehicle up again?

Thanks for any info you can give me,
Steve
Old 15 Oct 2011, 10:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Finally Got rid of that annoying hesitation

Thanks for posting the resolution, Steve.
Sorry I don't have the answer to your question.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 16 Oct 2011, 06:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Finally Got rid of that annoying hesitation

The torx screw for the IAC is T-25. I've never done it myself but from what I've read from other owners that have taken the IAC off and cleaned it, you shouldn't have a problem figuring out how to take the harness off and taking apart the body of the IAC off to clean it once you take it off the throttle body.
Old 16 Oct 2011, 09:23 am
Regular Cruiser

Thanks, Carey. I'm gonna to attempt this later today, if the sun comes out and it warms up a little. Looks like today may be my window of opportunity, as the temp is supposed to be alot cooler here in Iowa this week. I'll post and let you know how it all turns out.

If I can just get rid of that deceleration "stutter" that's driving my over-active imagination crazy (I'm a bit of a worrier when it comes to strange noises and vibrations from my car), then I'll be a happy camper.

Steve
Old 16 Oct 2011, 11:20 am
Regular Cruiser

Just got the IAC cleaned up and re-installed. The hardest part was trying to use my 1/4" drive ratchet with the Torx driver to get the two mounting screws out (not alot of room to maneuver).

I'm really glad that I got to take a look at the part that goes inside the throttle body. The center sleeve that rotates was coated with carbon, as was the brass-colored tapered tip. I got it cleaned up real good, then used the tip of a shop rag soaked in carb cleaner to clean up the inside of the mounting hole in the throttle body. Kinda hard to see if I got it all, since the mounting hole faces the firewall.

I got it all back together and it started right up. Idle seems very smooth. Hopefully this will help my deceleration issue.
Old 16 Oct 2011, 11:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Sounds good. Good luck.
Old 18 Oct 2011, 10:42 pm
Regular Cruiser

Hi guys,
I got rid of the hesitation, but I still have the deceleration issue at highway speeds. I went online and asked a Chrysler expert about my problem and this is what he came back with:

NUMBER: 18-027-01
GROUP: Vehicle Performance
DATE: Nov. 23, 2001

SUBJECT:
Highway Speed Surge
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with new software.
MODELS:
2001-2002 (JR) Sebring Sedan/Stratus Sedan/Sebring Convertible 2001-2002 (PT) PT Cruiser 2001-2002 (RS) Caravan/Voyager 2001-2002 (RG) Chrysler Voyager (International Markets) NOTE :THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES WITH A 2.4L ENGINE.
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Moderate to severe highway speed 72-97 kph (45-60 mph) vehicle surge.
More prevalent on smooth flat roads or roads with a slight grade in warmer ambient temperatures above 24C. ( 75F). NOTE :THIS PCM SOFTWARE UPDATE WILL PROVIDE A SURGE IMPROVEMENT FOR THOSE VEHICLES EXHIBITING A MODERATE TO SEVERE SURGE. THE IMPROVEMENT MAY BE NEGLIGIBLE FOR THOSE VEHICLES EXHIBITING A LIGHT SURGE.

Does anyone have an idea of what it would cost to have the PCM reprogrammed (flashed, I guess?)? I'd be curious to see if anyone else has done this and what the cost and results were.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 19 Oct 2011, 07:08 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The PCM code describes a surge, you are saying a deceleration - opposite symptoms.

Describe what your deceleration issue is.....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 19 Oct 2011, 07:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sscanlan View Post
I have had issues with an annoying "hesitation" when easing out from a complete stop. If I just tromp on the gas, I don't have it, but if I tried to start out slowly and smoothly it would bog down, then take off.

This afternoon I got some carb cleaner and sprayed down the inside of the throttle body real good, then I sprayed some white lithium grease on the cam that the throttle cables ride on, the coiled spring behind them which is attached to the shaft that the butterfly is mounted on, and a little into the end of the throttle cable casings. It seems to have made a big difference, and I don't have that annoying "dead spot" when trying to ease away from a complete stop.

I want to take the IAC off tomorrow and clean it with carb spray as well. Does anyone know what size Torx bit I need for the 2 mounting screws, and what's the trick for removing the harness connector from it before taking it off?

Finally, does anyone know if the pintle inside (I'm assuming that it has one, based on previous vehicles) will need to be reset after cleaning/before re-installing it, or if that will reset itself automatically once I re-install it and start the vehicle up again?

Thanks for any info you can give me,
Steve
I am having the same issue with my 08 2.4L non Turbo. Trying to increase speed up a freeway ramp or idling, nasty hesistation.

I took the car to get the whole fuel system cleaned(White smoke comes out of the tail pipe). The car ran perfect for about 12 days, now its starting to do the same thing again and now very frustrating.

Coil, wires, plugs, MAP, PCV and Purge Solenoid have all been changed.

Any ideas??? IAC???
Old 19 Oct 2011, 08:14 am
Cool Cruiser

yea. i had a hesitation problem from the day i bought the pt bruiser. from what i was told it tripped the CEL and had random miss fires?? we couldnt figure it out untill i brought it to a dealer ship! the said my timing belt was installed in correctly and was possible that it was off one tooth and causing havoc.... about one month later my belt broke :/ so my guess was that it was installed correctly but had either stretched or wasnt tightened properly??

come to find out wen the dealer ship that serviced the car b4 i owned it changed the head from being warped they never installed a new timing belt...