Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
engine mount, shifter linkage,control arms replacement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Oct 2011, 01:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default engine mount, shifter linkage,control arms replacement

Thanks to the forum, I have replaced engine mounts, control arms and shifter linkage for my '03 standard PT cruiser. Just want to report my cost and experience with the replacement.

Lower right engine mount:

I need to replace this to pass PA state inspection, this is the 'dog-bone' mount which is located under the engine, I bought the parts (anchor 2949, not the other one!)from Amazon for $14 dollars, it's a better price than Autozone & Advance Auto Parts have to offer.

Front lower left & right control arms:

I also need to replace these to pass inspection, I bought both from Advance Auto Parts, around $70 each.

Labor:

I found a local mechanic who has a $25/h rate, he fixed all three under 4 hours with the air tools.

The car doesn't shake anymore idling and I passed inspection. Replacing your lower engine mount is my strongest recommendation.

Shifter linkage bushing:

These are holding the shifter cable and they are under the battery & airbox. The OEM bushings worn out so bad that they fell off on the highway when I was driving and left me stuck in 4th gear (shifter would not work). Needless to say I struggled to start the car and had to feather the clutch at every red light to start in 4th to get the car back home.

Do not buy these from Autozone because they will not fit.
Buy these from Booger - Modern Performance, they cost $25 and it took 20 minutes to replace them, now my shift is crisp, clean and strong.
I did not open the interior console to replace the other two bushings because they are less exposed to the elements and would take much longer to fix.

I would also recommend replacing the linkage bushing if you feel shifting is getting harder.

Thanks,
Alex

Last edited by sm0421; 17 Oct 2011 at 01:32 pm.

Tags
engine mount, motor mount