Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 ltd problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Oct 2011, 04:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 ltd problems

Hello all, I'm new here and I hope anyone can help me.
I have a 2001 pt cruiser Ltd edition. When I bought it, the oil light was coming on. So, we changed the oil, spark plugs and wires. It worked for a couple weeks. I took it to the car wash and after that it started sputtering and the oil light started to come on again along with the cruise control light when the cruise control wasn't engaged at all. We had the oil pressure sending unit replaced to no avail.
Now, along with the oil light and the cruise light, occasionally it will not start. And sometimes it will just shut off while going down the road. Everything inside the car (dash lights, radio,etc) comes on but nothing outside (fuel pump, engine etc). If I leave the key turned to the on position I get the "no bus" in the odometer panel. And sometimes it will say "done" also. While all this is going on, the little red security light is on and stays on.

I have been pulling all my hair out trying to figure this out. Can anyone help me?!?#
Old 17 Oct 2011, 05:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 ltd problems

Here's an answer from "Just Answer, Chrysler", on the Internet about your "No Bus".

Hello, it means that the instrument cluster is not seeing messages from the PCI bus, which is how it communicates with the other modules on the vehicle, if you're not having any other problems it's unlikely that the communication bus has failed. You most likely have either a broken bus wire going to the instrument cluster or a failed instrument cluster itself. If you are having other related problems you're either going to have a failed module corrupting the communications bus, or a grounded or shorted bus wire, which will also cause the bus to fail. These are probably the hardest to diagnose problems we see on these vehicles.

The first thing you'd need to do is using a DRB3 scan tool do a module scan to determine if the pci bus is operational. If it is you can then focus on the instrument cluster. If it's not you'll then need to check for shorts to ground and voltage on the pci bus wire, if either is present you'll need to find the cause of the fault.