PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Updated Oil Cooler and Lines... Anyone heard of this?

 
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 17 Oct 2011, 06:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1
Default Updated Oil Cooler and Lines... Anyone heard of this?

I had my 2003 PT GT oil changed at a different place than normal and it leaked all over my garage (compared to the chain place I normally go to who everyone says not to). Took it back and they said it was oil pan and I replaced it.

Now it's leaking a lot... like probably 1/4 a cup in two days on the garage floor.

Took it back today and they said oil pan is fine and that there's a updated oil cooler with lines that Chrysler has as an update to leaking flaws... since not safety it's not a recall but it needs this update as it's known to leak ($450). I told them "no way" so they said they'd put on a Mopar filter and see how it goes.

I can't find anything even close to this searching google. Is this shop telling the truth... or am I being fed a BS story out here in Frisco, Texas.

Does anyone know if this is true?

Jeff
Welcome to Scepteronline.com!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 17 Oct 2011, 07:22 pm
DuRoc's Avatar
Young Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 74
Default Re: Updated Oil Cooler and Lines... Anyone heard of this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scepterian View Post
I had my 2003 PT GT oil changed at a different place than normal and it leaked all over my garage (compared to the chain place I normally go to who everyone says not to). Took it back and they said it was oil pan and I replaced it.

Now it's leaking a lot... like probably 1/4 a cup in two days on the garage floor.

Took it back today and they said oil pan is fine and that there's a updated oil cooler with lines that Chrysler has as an update to leaking flaws... since not safety it's not a recall but it needs this update as it's known to leak ($450). I told them "no way" so they said they'd put on a Mopar filter and see how it goes.

I can't find anything even close to this searching google. Is this shop telling the truth... or am I being fed a BS story out here in Frisco, Texas.

Does anyone know if this is true?

Jeff
Welcome to Scepteronline.com!

Are you sure it wasn't leaking from the oil filter, like maybe they spun on a new filter over the old filters o-ring? Rookie mistake but I have seen shops do this before, happened to me before.
__________________
07' 5.7 QCSB Ram, 06' 5.7 300C, 04' Cruiser LE Turbo
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 18 Oct 2011, 05:43 am
quicksilverdon's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Felton, Delaware
Posts: 20,501
Default Re: Updated Oil Cooler and Lines... Anyone heard of this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuRoc View Post
Are you sure it wasn't leaking from the oil filter, like maybe they spun on a new filter over the old filters o-ring? Rookie mistake but I have seen shops do this before, happened to me before.
Has happened to me, too... but that will lose a LOT of oil
The most usual cause of oil leaks is gorillas changing the oil and either stripping or cross-threading the oil plug - there is no issue with oil lines/cooler.

If you don't know where it's leaking from, there is a dye can be put in the oil that shows up under U-V light - but don't take you car back to the place that screwed it up!!!
__________________
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life,
nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
Isaac Asimov"

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 18 Oct 2011, 03:05 pm
Kawizx9r's Avatar
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Salinas, CA
Posts: 1,574
Default Re: Updated Oil Cooler and Lines... Anyone heard of this?

One; don't take it to the shop. You can do an oil change yourself and it's easy as pie. Plus you can rest assured knowing that your oil was changed and your oil filter...you'll be surprised how shady a couple of places are where they won't change your oil filter.

Two; clean your engine bay both up top and underneath, more importantly underneath. I'm talking brake cleaner/wiping down/spraying/etc. A clean engine bay isn't just for looks, if it's clean and you suddenly develop a leak you'll know exactly where it's coming from.

Three; jack car up, let it run/warm up/idle and shut it off. Try to find out where it's leaking from.

FYI Only use synthetic oil, I prefer Mobile 1 full synthetic. I don't know how long you've owned your PT GT or how familiar you are with turbo cars but if you drive it hard, let it cool down. Using synthetic oil and letting things cool down prior to shutting the car off prevents clogging of your oil lines. Synthetic oil burns at a much slower rate, hence why you want to use it. Also, when you first start up the car unless you let it warm up a bit, drive it like an old lady and don't start boosting anytime soon. You'll easily kill a 'dry' turbo that way.
__________________
My Toy


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Kawi is a friggin genius!
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 18 Oct 2011, 09:07 pm
mdfrodolives's Avatar
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,313
Default Re: Updated Oil Cooler and Lines... Anyone heard of this?

Well ... if I were you, I'd take the car into the previous shop you used to have change your oil. Ask them what's up. Even though "everybody says not to go to them", you never had this problem in the past--when you were going to them. Right?

Updated oil cooler and lines? That's poppycock! Your new shop, either cross-threaded your drain plug; overtightened your filter (causing its seal to rupture); left some of your old oil filter seal on the car and screwed the new filter on top of it; or they may have even loosened some of your oil pan bolts to make it leak on purpose--just so they could sell you an "updated cooler and new lines.

Go back to your original oil-change mechanic.

Tim
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 19 Oct 2011, 06:29 pm
VNT's Avatar
VNT VNT is offline
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NE
Posts: 1,466
Default Re: Updated Oil Cooler and Lines... Anyone heard of this?

I assume you have a turbo

The oil cooler has two coolant lines to it. A feed and a return, both have preformed steel sections and rubber sections. the rubber sections slide over two nipples on the cooler, see the picture

In 2005 they increased the OD diameter on the nipple on the cooler from like 9/16 to 5/8, so you cant buy the old hose and superceded to a kit with new cooler. I grabbed some of the old hose which are now NS1, so anyone with a 03 and 04 is screwed when they need to replace the coolant lines for the oil cooler. I would assume people are now about due since rubber hoses have about a 10 year life span
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coolercoolantlines.jpg (95.5 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg oil cooler lines.jpg (57.1 KB, 67 views)
__________________
VNT

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555 sold
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 27 Sep 2013, 12:43 am
Young Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 81
Default Re: Updated Oil Cooler and Lines... Anyone heard of this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNT View Post
I assume you have a turbo

The oil cooler has two coolant lines to it. A feed and a return, both have preformed steel sections and rubber sections. the rubber sections slide over two nipples on the cooler, see the picture

In 2005 they increased the OD diameter on the nipple on the cooler from like 9/16 to 5/8, so you cant buy the old hose and superceded to a kit with new cooler. I grabbed some of the old hose which are now NS1, so anyone with a 03 and 04 is screwed when they need to replace the coolant lines for the oil cooler. I would assume people are now about due since rubber hoses have about a 10 year life span

OH so freakin true!!!!!!!!! the cost of a new cooler is 133 and I have a 05 turbo. If I had the GT there would be no problem, info found out from dealer. They should have just made one size for all turbos. The complete line assemblies not just the rubber hoses are 156 as well. They are only dealer stock items as they are molded and have different end sizes.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 27 Sep 2013, 07:36 am
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,882
Default Re: Updated Oil Cooler and Lines... Anyone heard of this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzin View Post
OH so freakin true!!!!!!!!! the cost of a new cooler is 133 and I have a 05 turbo. If I had the GT there would be no problem, info found out from dealer. They should have just made one size for all turbos. The complete line assemblies not just the rubber hoses are 156 as well. They are only dealer stock items as they are molded and have different end sizes.
These lines are coolant only. No oil leak associated with these lines. Not sure if there would be any difference in the gt. Nothing else is. And this thread is 3 years old. Many of the op's have left.
mole likes this.
__________________

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 11 Feb 2014, 12:02 pm
quicksilverdon's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Felton, Delaware
Posts: 20,501
Default Re: Updated Oil Cooler and Lines... Anyone heard of this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzin View Post
OH so freakin true!!!!!!!!! the cost of a new cooler is 133 and I have a 05 turbo. If I had the GT there would be no problem, info found out from dealer. They should have just made one size for all turbos. The complete line assemblies not just the rubber hoses are 156 as well. They are only dealer stock items as they are molded and have different end sizes.
What do you Mean - "If I had the GT there would be no problem" - the "lite" and GT are identical except for computer programming - the Lite has lower boost.
__________________
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life,
nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
Isaac Asimov"

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
has anybody heard of this or done it gonzomania Tech & Performance Forum 4 20 Mar 2007 11:47 am
anyone heard of KYB??? turbomangt Turbo Wheels/Suspension/Handling 6 02 Dec 2005 12:29 am
Heard of VSI?? turbomangt Turbo Wheels/Suspension/Handling 1 23 Apr 2005 05:08 pm
Thanks, they heard me turbomangt General PT Cruiser Discussions 9 15 Oct 2003 01:44 am
Check your AutoStick transmission cooler lines! ElectricBlueGT General Turbo Discussions 4 03 Oct 2003 09:53 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:42 am.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors