PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help needed, Urgent. Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Oct 2011, 07:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Help needed, Urgent. Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor.

Lately my 2005 Pt Cruiser Turbo Edition with only 40,000 miles has had problems shifting, as in it just will not shift on its own, or shifts very late and sporadically. Then, I got the dreaded p0700 error code. I took it to a shop for further diagnostics and the codes returned were p0712- Transmission temperature sensor low, and p0891-Transmission Relay Circuit. Now the Relay circuit code I have no idea what that is and I'm hoping it's related to the sensor, so that's what I am focusing on. I cannot seem to find ANY information on this sensor in Pt cruiser's, but other car makes and models with this problem seem to have similar symptoms. My questions for you insightful and talented Pt owners are these.
Please give me any and all information about this transmission fluid temperature sensor. It's location, the location of its connections to the transmission, its cost and where to buy the sensor other than a dealer. Any information is appreciated at this point. I'm a 19 year-old college student so I have very little money and would really like to fix this without having to pay out my ass to a car shop and especially not to the car dealership. Thank you very much for your time whoever reads this.
Old 18 Oct 2011, 08:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Help needed, Urgent. Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor.

I looked up a number of things trying to help. These are from a number of different sites but it looks like yo may have to leave the fix to a professional.

=============================

There is already a transmission temperature sensor built into the transmission range sensor. The PCM constantly monitors transmission fluid temperature to determine shift strategy.

-------------------------

The transmission range sensor is the gear indicator for the TCM. It tells the TCM what gear you are in, i.e.: park, neutral, drive.... It should only allow the engine to start in park or neutral.

Is the transmission range sensor in the transmission?

Could be on, or in. Depends on the type of car. Domestically speaking, the only manufacturer that places the range sensor on the internals of the transmission is a Chrysler dodge Plymouth. Everything else I can think of is external.
Old 18 Oct 2011, 09:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
I looked up a number of things trying to help. These are from a number of different sites but it looks like yo may have to leave the fix to a professional.

=============================

There is already a transmission temperature sensor built into the transmission range sensor. The PCM constantly monitors transmission fluid temperature to determine shift strategy.

The transmission range sensor is the gear indicator for the TCM. It tells the TCM what gear you are in, i.e.: park, neutral, drive.... It should only allow the engine to start in park or neutral.

Is the transmission range sensor in the transmission?

Could be on, or in. Depends on the type of car. Domestically speaking, the only manufacturer that places the range sensor on the internals of the transmission is a Chrysler dodge Plymouth. Everything else I can think of is external.
Thank you for your response, but I think I need to be clear. The car functions fine, but this error code causes it to go into limp mode, which is why it shifts oddly I believe. From everything I have found the transmission fluid temperature sensor is almost always located somewhere above the transmission fluid pan. I need to know where that is, and also where the wiring for this particular sensor is so that I may test it and see if it has been grounded or is all faulty.
Old 19 Oct 2011, 01:21 pm
Young Cruiser

I found some information in the service manual for our 05 PT. The temperature sensor is part of the transmission range sensor and is located on top of the valve body so you would need to pull the pan and valve body to gain access to it. The wires for the temperature sensor are on pins 34 and 35 on connector C4 which I believe is the connector on the far right of the PCM looking from the front of the car. Perhaps someone can verify that location. Good luck.
Old 19 Oct 2011, 03:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I think I verified most of that.

Tags
help quick, p0712, p0891, sensor, transmission