PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Timing belt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Oct 2011, 09:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Timing belt

Hello all,

So my 2002 PT limited decided it was time to break a timing belt. I've been reading alot on here, and have the Haynes manual. I was wondering if I would be better off removing the engine to replace the timing belt or just do it with the engine in place?
Old 25 Oct 2011, 09:24 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Timing belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourwheeler04073 View Post
Hello all,

So my 2002 PT limited decided it was time to break a timing belt. I've been reading alot on here, and have the Haynes manual. I was wondering if I would be better off removing the engine to replace the timing belt or just do it with the engine in place?
Are you crazy? keep the engine in place!!!! just disconnect the engine mount, tranny mount, exhaust downpipe and get two jacks and lower the driver side of the engine and raise the passenger side, then you'll get enough room to remove that big cast iron center mount bracket.
Old 25 Oct 2011, 09:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

That's what I thought but 1 repair shop mentioned engine removal. I'll be starting on it tomorrow afternoon. About how long do you figure it should take? couple days?
Old 25 Oct 2011, 10:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

What's your experience in doing something like this? Is the Haynes manual your guide?

Look in the Tech and Performance section for the "HOW TO" thread and print out any of the helpful threads that say anything about the timing belt. You might think twice before taking on the job.
Old 25 Oct 2011, 04:40 pm
Young Cruiser

Just curious, how many miles do you have on your PT?
Old 25 Oct 2011, 09:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

XDC2 - sorry man - you totally downplay how tough this is. If I had the equipment, I would totally pull the motor. But then again - if I had the equipment I probably would have a lot more experience and probably wouldn't.

It took my dad (seasoned driveway mechanic works every weekend on cars since the 60's - with air tools and access to a lot of stuff most people don't) and myself (a self-described ghetto mechanic with a lot of tools that specializes in doing major repairs in parking lots) - 2.5 days to complete. That is a Saturday, a Sunday, and taking off work Monday to button back up. Every Single Thing took longer and was harder than expected didn't line back up, got stuck, etc. Might just be my luck.

My thread:
Pre-emptive timing belt change completed!

(note this is the 2004 I own that I did pre-emptively - my wifes 2001 actually had a couple valves and a valve guide break when hers went. Yes I saw them myself. I understand I'm one of a few that actually had this happen.)
Old 25 Oct 2011, 09:58 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdole369 View Post
XDC2 - sorry man - you totally downplay how tough this is. If I had the equipment, I would totally pull the motor. But then again - if I had the equipment I probably would have a lot more experience and probably wouldn't.

It took my dad (seasoned driveway mechanic works every weekend on cars since the 60's - with air tools and access to a lot of stuff most people don't) and myself (a self-described ghetto mechanic with a lot of tools that specializes in doing major repairs in parking lots) - 2.5 days to complete. That is a Saturday, a Sunday, and taking off work Monday to button back up. Every Single Thing took longer and was harder than expected didn't line back up, got stuck, etc. Might just be my luck.

My thread:
Pre-emptive timing belt change completed!

(note this is the 2004 I own that I did pre-emptively - my wifes 2001 actually had a couple valves and a valve guide break when hers went. Yes I saw them myself. I understand I'm one of a few that actually had this happen.)
I'm not saying is an easy job, but if somebody is asking if you need to remove the engine, I'm going to give him the right answer: You don't need to
Already done a full timing belt change on my wife's and helped a member doing a second one (compdr59), and is not the end of the world to do it.
Yes, if you never did it before you'll need a full weekend...but if you already done a few is not that bad....I already did it in all my family's cars: Isuzu Amigo, Hundai Elantra, Dodge Neon, PT Cruiser, Ford E150 (timing gears), so to me is not hard.
BTW, I'm not a mechanic but I worked on many different jobs in the past 20 years, so I learned to do everything, like carpentry, electrical, machining, rigging, plumbing, printing, etc,etc

Last edited by XtrmDC2; 25 Oct 2011 at 10:05 pm. Reason: Typo
Old 25 Oct 2011, 10:58 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Engine removal is not the answer.....

Make sure you're not in a rush. The spaces are tight and the manual doesn't show you where is the best access position. I couldn't get a socket on the alternator belt tension bolt, I had to use a box wrench. You will need some special tools for the front pulley and to hold the camshafts. My socket set didn't have 18mm sockets. You will need a Torx 55. The rented pullers don't remove the front pulley all the way, you will need to improvise to get the last 1/2". Plan on at least two full days and you will need an additional set of hands to put the belt on. My car was garaged since new so I didn't run into any frozen bolts. I hope I never have to do it again on a PT, but I will need to change one on my RX330 one day.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Original Owner 135k
2005 Turbo Touring Convertible Auto w/ Stage 1, DSP inTune w/ Diablo Tune, Composite Intake, Air Box Modification, Hard Pipes, K&N, KYB's, Vision Motorworks Wires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, UltraGauge.
Old 26 Oct 2011, 07:35 am
Cool Cruiser

for me its been an on going battle with the timing belt job... however.. since every thing is off and accessable ive decided to take my time. (out comes the beer and every thing slows down) if i were you i would replace every thing before it goes back on the engine!! one down fall for me is... i never changed the crank shaft seal highly suggested to change the water pump... and the tensioner... and anything else you can while its apart!!! just my $0.02 tho
Old 26 Oct 2011, 08:42 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdskinner731 View Post
and anything else you can while its apart!!! just my $0.02 tho
Waterpump and tension is a given. They might be ok now, but they will not last another 100k!

I'd change the front main seal, cam seals, center engine mount. All these require the timing belt to be off. You'll need a special tool to pull the crank sprocket off.

Also check the valve cover gasket if it is leaking.

Watch out for anchor engine mounts!!