Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
engine cooling upgrade(s)...options?!?!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Oct 2011, 08:25 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to srebik Send a message via MSN to srebik
Default engine cooling upgrade(s)...options?!?!

Sup everyone.

So I know that I need to worry about the engine cooling fan due to the fact that I have that idle vibration with the a/c on but blows cold when going down the freeway. luckily the car never overheats....so far.

Anyways in the distant future I want to go supercharged....probably wont happen due to cost and rarity of the kits thesedays....but I'm planning on laying out the ground work for it just in case I can score one sometime in the future.

But I also figure that while I'm working on the cooling fan maybe I should try and tackle some of the other engine cooling pieces in prep for the dreamed of S/C.

So I'm curious if there are aftermarket "performance" radiators avaialbe for pt.
if so a link would be great.

if not curious what the differences are between the:
srt4 radiator
turbo gt raditor
and n/a radiator

also is there any difference between the 3 types of vehicles (listed above) radiator caps?!?!?!

I'd also like to know if there are oil cooler kits specifically designed for the pt or maybe one designed for the srt4 that can fit the pt. or do these types of things need to be piece mealed together?

I will most likely also go with a 180 degree thermostat...from reading on here the pt comes with a 190-200 degree thermostat and the 180 seems to be the prefered temp setting. the 160 alot of people feel is too cold of a t-stat.
this might be a moot point since if memory serves correctly the whipple kit comes with its own t-stat....but still guess its better to be prepared than not.

now of course the biggest thing is the fan. I'm severaly tempted to try opening up the fan myself and trying to replace the brushes....but before I do that I'd like to have a perfectly good fan sitting on the bench next to me incase plan A doesn't work out.....any suggestions on fans and/or fan upgrades?!?!

water pump was replaced about 20-22 thousand miles ago when the timing belt was done so I shouldn't have to worry about that.

the last thing is more of a show/bling item. curious if anyone has made silcone (perferably blue since the vehicle is blue) radiator hoses for the pt cruiser?
if not I might just try that stainless steel braided sleeve cover for my bling in that department.

so anyways that's the dream thus far. with more knowledge on possiblities the plan will hopefully come together.

as for coolant will probably buy the dealer coolant since more people seem to prefer that coolant....does anyone use coolant addins such as water wetter and the like?!?!

thanks in advance for any reading/input/advise/opinion/comments/issues anyone decides to leave.

2003 Dark Blue Non-Turbo Pt Cruiser w/ 5 speed
Old 26 Oct 2011, 10:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: engine cooling upgrade(s)...options?!?!

Too bad you did water pump already - I understand the turbo pump pushes more water.
In owner's manual it lists a larger cooling capacity for turbo - I assume that would be a bigger radiator.
You canuse dupont Zerex G05 - water wetter is okay, and use distilled water (I get it at supermarket - sold for steam irons).
If you use synthetic oil, it can take the heat.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 26 Oct 2011, 11:33 am
Dedicated Cruiser

I was told these fit on the PT Cruiser:

Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator 00-05 Neon / 03-05 Neon SRT4 - Mishimoto

Mishimoto Fan Shroud Assembly 00-05 Neon / 03-05 Neon SRT4 - Mishimoto
Old 26 Oct 2011, 12:10 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Cooling capacity depends more on power used than max power output.

IOW, a 120 HP engine in a truck would need more capacity than
a 300 HP engine in a coupe-

You'd only use that 300HP for seconds and the 120 HP near continuous.
Most of the time passenger vehicle uses 20-30 HP to go down freeway,
no matter the ultimate power output.
Old 26 Oct 2011, 03:01 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I wouldn't waste my money on a supercharger for a PT. You'll still be really slow. I wouldn't even upgrade the radiator for a supercharger. If you want something quick then go turbocharger. A lot easier to find parts.
Old 26 Oct 2011, 03:03 pm
Veteran Cruiser

seems the choice- Lots of talk about SC Neons, but don't recall ever seeing finished product.

Chrysler sold supercharger kit for old 2.2 / 2.5's- Dunno of anyone bought one
Old 26 Oct 2011, 11:39 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to srebik Send a message via MSN to srebik

Thanks for the replies thus far.

as for geting a turbo..yeah it would be nice, but I've always wanted to try a s/c car before a turbo car. Plus I already own an n/a car and not a turbo car. in this fashion I can plan ahead and socket small amounts of money aside and buy the parts as I get the money which is alot easier then saving to buy a whole new car that to be frank I don't really need at his point in time.
but due to rarity of the whipple s/c kit more then likely the best I will get would be intake/header/exhaust...maybe flywheel.

I still wouldn't mind the more efficent radiator (or all around cooling system) though.
reason is I live in southern california where summer temps can reach in the 100's.....I also have family in el centro where year round temps can be 100+

the misimoto stuff looks nice. I'd have to go look under my hood but I think the inlet for the pt cruiser raidot is on the other side of the raditor....probably visualizing it wrong though.

that dual fan set up looks spectacular as well.....hard wriing it in though....what happens if in teh future you need to take the fan out again....cut the wires and re sodder everything?!?!.....might shoot moderperformance a email.

really there is a difference between the turbo water pump and the n/a water pump....thats quite interesting....might look more into that.

uptown you are correct in that assessment about when power is used, but lets say in teh future I get into endurance racing (probably wont happen but I do fancy autox), having that extra safety net might be worth it.

gtman....I don't consider the n/a pt slow....especially compared to the other cars I've had thus far in life. as for parts...you are correct, many of the manufactures of n/a parts have either gone belly up or discountiuned due to lack of interest, unfortuntely for me I got a pt to late :-P
thus far though this is the direction that sounds most interesting to me.

so in conclusion potentially misimoto has a raditor that might fit.....manuel cars only though since it does have the hook ups for the a/t cooler lines....this can be remedied with an aftermarket oil cooler being run for the a/t.

misimoto also has an fan shroud that may fit as well but requires hard wriing into the current wiring harness might not be a good idea if you ever want to go back to stock.

turbo water pump might flow more fluid than the stock n/a pump.
to me this has been some good info so far and gives me some extra perspective to think about.....again thanks for the help thus far....would love to hear even more from other members as well.

2003 Dark Blue Non-Turbo Pt Cruiser w/ 5 speed
Old 28 Oct 2011, 12:15 am
Regular Cruiser

If I were you, I'll leave the coolant system alone, until you're actually having problems.

If you are wanting to get after market. Measure the room you have in you engine bay, get a Griffin radiator and install it. Aluminum Race Radiators: Griffinrad.com | Lightweight, Maximum Cooling, Race Tracks, Dirt Modified

I had to do that for my GLH.

Watch out for anchor engine mounts!!
Old 28 Oct 2011, 08:53 am
Veteran Cruiser

Hey! I remember working on that!!!!
OMFG, got good at changing pistons!!!!!!!!!

Do you want a Mopar Performance head?????
Old 31 Oct 2011, 11:00 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
In owner's manual it lists a larger cooling capacity for turbo - I assume that would be a bigger radiator.
I'm not so sure about that. I just trolled a couple JY's looking for stuff and I noted the following difference between 2004 turbo radiator - and several non-turbo's (differing years).

Turbos have a different "bracket" on the sides of the radiator - this is to allow the iC to connect and to have a bit of room for the IC intake hoses.

Non-Turbos have a solid "radiator neck", while the turbos have one that is removeable with an O-Ring.

Both have an integrated ATF cooler for power steering pump. The tranny cooler mounts below the condenser on both.

My original radiator had a bracket that was not removable, while the 01-05 radiators (all base models) that I saw all have the removable brackets. Measurements were both identical, Maybe in the motor the cooling galleys are plumbed differently, but I fail to see how it can hold much more than a quart or so more than the base model.