PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Strange Electrics

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Oct 2011, 06:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Strange Electrics

New to site hope Im posting right. Have an 06 gt conv turbo on occasion the instrument cluster goes wild, gauges spin, all the lights flash and sometimes the engine starts sputtering. This has been going on for many miles. No dealer could find the problem. Now I have it at the shop and it happened to them twice. Thier still not positive but say 90% it needs a new PCM. Any thoughts?
mbaker115 likes this.
Old 27 Oct 2011, 06:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Strange Electrics

PT's go nutty when the battery is not fully charged. Have the charging system checked and also take the negative battery cable off for about 10 minutes and depress the brake peddle for a couple seconds. That gets rid of all residual charge. Put the cable back on and see if there's any change with your problem. Let us know if that helps.
Old 27 Oct 2011, 07:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks, I do have a new battery in it I'll try what you said and let you know. Dealer wants to charge 600 for PCM installed sounds high??

Last edited by Deanob; 27 Oct 2011 at 07:16 am.
Old 27 Oct 2011, 07:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

There is a federal law regarding emissions - I am not sure of upper mileage limit, but if you have less than 50,000 miles, pretty sure they have to replace PCM for free.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 27 Oct 2011, 07:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I think that limit is 80K
Old 27 Oct 2011, 08:39 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanob View Post
New to site hope Im posting right. Have an 06 gt conv turbo on occasion the instrument cluster goes wild, gauges spin, all the lights flash and sometimes the engine starts sputtering. This has been going on for many miles. No dealer could find the problem. Now I have it at the shop and it happened to them twice. Thier still not positive but say 90% it needs a new PCM. Any thoughts?
I dont have the part # handy but in the steering column their is switch. It is about 40$. It connects to the key tumbler and has an electrical connector.

It requires a tourx bit #10 on a 1//4 drive rachet to remove. takes about 1/2 hour to replace.

Do a search on cluster going crazy. I replaced the one in my wifes 2006 GT and the problem hasnt come back.

If you opt to go this route, please buy the Mopar one from the dealer, the aftermarket electronic stuff is junk!

Ignition switch

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555 sold
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2

Last edited by VNT; 27 Oct 2011 at 08:42 am.
Old 27 Oct 2011, 05:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for all the help,85k so they wont cover. It did it again with new battery, if it was the tumbler would it stall the engine?
Old 27 Oct 2011, 05:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanob View Post
Thanks for all the help,85k so they wont cover. It did it again with new battery, if it was the tumbler would it stall the engine?
If you read his post link you'll see Both rudedude and txcruiser states that it included stalling.
Old 27 Oct 2011, 05:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Found it, I'll replace this weekend
Old 31 Oct 2011, 05:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

Well well the stealer, Palm Crysler in Punta Gorda, says PCM only $640. If that doesn't work new gauge cluster for $450+++. Switch??? no way. Thanks guys, replaced switch electrical connector, $60 ,drove it all weekend, no problems. Also instead of removing the tilt arm bend it very slowly to gain a little clearance then bend back. Be carefull not to break the plastic spacer. I hate dealership service depts.

Last edited by Deanob; 31 Oct 2011 at 05:44 am.