Car will not start when Hot

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rob342

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Oct 2011, 03:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Car will not start when Hot

Hello,
I have a 2003 Pt limited with 70K miles.
I have two problems with my car.

1. the tripometer resets sometimes.

2. When my car is hot, it does not want to start. It turns over very slow.
If I wait ~ 15 min., it starts right up.

Any ideal what my be happening to my car?

I had the battery replace ~ 1 1/2 years ago.

Bert
Old 27 Oct 2011, 04:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Car will not start when Hot

the slow turning COULD be the starter I knwo you said the battery is only 1 1/2 years old but it could still have a dead cell id have it checked

a hot motor is harder to crank so if there is a weak spot that is when it will show up
Old 27 Oct 2011, 05:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Also make sure that all the 12 volts is getting to the starter. Clean all the cable ends.

Try turning on the ignition for 5-10 seconds without actually starting the engine, then hit the starter. Let the fuel pump build up pressure. Just a thought.

But do check the battery and charging system as Cruserdad suggested. Even a newer battery can go bad.
Old 30 Jul 2015, 05:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I need some serious help here folks. I have been having problems getting the car to start in the warm afternoons. It starts fine in the morning and a couple other times through out the day but in the afternoon evening when its warm or hot out it wont even crank, make any noise (clicking) A couple of times it started but then when I turned it off again it wont start until the morning. I have replaced the entire positive battery cable and the multi function relay. also everyone should know that I have an ignition interlock on the car which should not be affecting the car but in case you don't know what that is it is a device you have to blow in to activate the starter. seems like the heat is the main factor here. At least that is the biggest association with the problem. somone mentioned fuel pump?? Im taking the car back in tomorrow and want to know what to tell them to do!! All the lights are on but no starting when hot. If it was the battery why does it start back up when its cooled down?

Last edited by jspreine; 30 Jul 2015 at 05:49 pm.
Old 30 Jul 2015, 07:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspreine View Post
I need some serious help here folks. I have been having problems getting the car to start in the warm afternoons. It starts fine in the morning and a couple other times through out the day but in the afternoon evening when its warm or hot out it wont even crank, make any noise (clicking) A couple of times it started but then when I turned it off again it wont start until the morning. I have replaced the entire positive battery cable and the multi function relay. also everyone should know that I have an ignition interlock on the car which should not be affecting the car but in case you don't know what that is it is a device you have to blow in to activate the starter. seems like the heat is the main factor here. At least that is the biggest association with the problem. somone mentioned fuel pump?? Im taking the car back in tomorrow and want to know what to tell them to do!! All the lights are on but no starting when hot. If it was the battery why does it start back up when its cooled down?
Okay....

If the starter is turning slow when the car is hot, that is a classic sign of a bad starter. The clicking can mean one of several things. But if the starter was turning slow before, it's still likely the stater.

My course of action would be to first remove the battery. If I didn't have a load tester, I'd take it to a parts store like Autozone and have it tested under load to assure it's good. Even though I suspect it is the starter, I'd do this first because it's easier, cost nothing, and there's a smaller chance that it is the battery.

If the battery is good under load test, I'd remove the starter and have it tested at a parts store for free. If bad, I'd replace it and then drive my PT to the river for an evening swim with my sweetie in her hot new swim suit.

If the starter tests good, and I know beyond all doubt that I've clean and/or replace the battery cables on all ends, I would likely buy a new starter anyway. Because like I said, a slow turning starter when hot is a classic sign of a bad starter. And the parts stores don't really have a way to test a starter under a mechanical load. Some starters will free-wheel just fine when tested but then drag while trying to turn an engine.

Another thing to do is to peck on the starter while someone tries to start the engine. Sometimes a dragging or clicking starter will go ahead and take off spinning fast when pecked on with a hammer while attempting to start the car. And if that works, then again, you know you need a new starter.

Again, all this hinges on your report that the starter was turning slowing while the car was hot, but would sometimes start okay when the engine was cool.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 30 Jul 2015 at 07:45 pm.
Old 30 Jul 2015, 08:03 pm
Veteran Cruiser

A weak ground will also cause it to crank slow when hot. Check the grounds first it's free.

I've seen cars do this, exactly this, when people relocate the battery to the trunk and use the body as ground instead of a dedicated cable, hence my recommendation.
LionPT likes this.
Old 30 Jul 2015, 08:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The starter thing i can't really help you on except to say heat and bad connections are bad for starters. As far as the tip resetting thought i have a concrete answer for. I bought a 05 pt touring edition brand NEW in 05 and every time i got gas i would reset the trip so i could track my mileage. Most of the time it would reset before i filled up again. At first i was telling my wife NOT to reset the trip when she drove the car, she swore she wasn't. I noticed it was happening when i drove as well after a while and couldn't blame here anymore, lol.
I was working for a Dodge, Chrysler dealer at the time and mentioned it to the service manager who looked into it. He found a technical note which from memory wasn't a TSB or anything but it seems like it was a complaint note somewhere he found. It said that the original cluster was prone to static interference. The solution was to order the newest parts number cluster and to scotch guard the seats. Apparently the seats where prone to static build up and could arc through the cluster when entering or exiting the vehicle.
We replaced the cluster under warranty and did the seats with antistatic spray. It was never an issue again. When is WAS i could NEVER make it a whole tank without the trip resetting.